Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just got these guys 2 days ago unexpectedly

Treefr0g

Reaction score
Got these guys recently unexpectedly about two days ago, I have a tank cycling with them in a large tub doing daily water changes, do they look alright ? Anything I should know? They're about six inches ones a GFP, they told me they think they're both male and told me 5 pellets a day and gave me the pellets with them i assume they were feeding them.(they've had only about 3 each a day since getting them they mostly spit them out.. should I get something else/ be worried) I just want to 100% do what's best! Thankyou so much in advance.
IMG_20211220_091651_973.jpg
IMG_20211220_091652_126.jpg

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
They look fine to me. Hard to tell gender from the fotos. Mature males have a swollen cloaca. You may wish to try giving them small earthworms. There is much good information on this site - so it really pays to look around. Start here if you haven't seen this already - and good luck: Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1