Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Juvenile axie gills\\water current

notaphrodite

Reaction score
Hi! Water current question here..

I have a new juvenile axie (about 4-5 weeks old, new mom). The babe is currently in a 10gal tank, tested water levels are all perfect. I have a regular low-flow waterfall external canister and after realizing very quickly that the babe hated it I attached some mesh over the fall so the flow is super evenly and slowly distributed, barely any current at all. However, I can't shake the feeling that babes gills are a little too forward and still unhappy with it. It's really not drastic enough for me to be sure, though.. I know that I can always go back to a still tank but the babe loves clean water so much and still is such hard upkeep.. I am ordering an external canister filter w the lowest flow spray hose next week, but, yeah.. What angle are a healthy juvenile axolotl's gills supposed to be at?? The feathers look healthy and proper but are the gills themselves supposed to be more vertical or more angled flat towards the body?? Or am I just being a paranoid mother

Thank you!!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
small juveniles often have gills that stick straight up or flop over. adults gills normally flow away from the face, the gill curl from stress is a tight curl towards the face but a better indication of stress is tail curling (which starts at the very tip)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1