Juvenile Axo feeding

Gis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. The next month I'll be out for a weekend (Sat and Sun) and my juvenile Axolotl would be around 5 inches (right now is 4.25 inches and two weeks ago was 4 inches. I'm feeding him daily now(I guess looks like he more than she) but I don't know if the weekend I'll be out he can stay without food or I should get someone ( without experience feeding Axolotl) or I should set my automatic feeder with pellets? What do you think is the best option? I'll make sure water parameters are good but feeding makes me think. I've read that juvenile can be 2 days without food or more. Is that true? I appreciate your advice.

In the wild, axolotls go several days without food. If your tank is well cycled I would just feed them well before you left. Of course you could have a friend pop in and just throw in some food. IMO they don’t have to always be hand fed. You could also get a bunch of baby ghost shrimp to put in there so it can snack as it pleases. Mine love to eat ghost shrimp.

Reactions: Gis
In the wild, axolotls go several days without food. If your tank is well cycled I would just feed them well before you left. Of course you could have a friend pop in and just throw in some food. IMO they don’t have to always be hand fed. You could also get a bunch of baby ghost shrimp to put in there so it can snack as it pleases. Mine love to eat ghost shrimp.
Thank you.

If your axolotl is not accepting food maybe do a water change check parameters if everything is OK give your buddy a variety of food. Try blood worms, cut night crawlers, and or pellets. Sometimes when my axolots get this way I give them some tlc in a separate bucket do a feed and leave them for about 10 to 15 mins and sit beside them and hand feed. Im sure your buddy will come around. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back