Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvenile axolotl floating please help

Tarot&Binx

Reaction score
Im brand new to axolotls and I just got this little guy Binx last week, since ive brought him home he has been tubbed while a 20 long cycles for him, when I got him he was fairly thin and pale but he gave me no problem eating so I wasnt really concerned, but then about 4 days ago he refused food for the first time but then ate a few blood worms later that day, now the past 2-3 days he has started to float going from just seeming like he was having a hard time keeping his tail down to now having a difficult time staying upright. I dropped the water in the tub down to barely cover his back but im not sure what is causing this to proceed. Since ive had him he has been tubbed with no substrate and has been eating blood worms and cut up nightcrawlers, the past 2 days when I woke up and checked the tub there was debris and i assumed to be poo but now Im concerned that maybe he is regurgitating his food? Please help Im really nervous I dont want to make some mistake and loss him/her.

Attachments

• 20200826_093200.jpg
    20200826_093200.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • 20200826_093056.jpg
    20200826_093056.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20200826_093202.jpg
    20200826_093202.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 20200826_093229.jpg
    20200826_093229.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1