Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Juvenile axolotl injured??

Indie3321

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for a month now and I've recently treated her for constipation by putting her in the fridge, I've taken her out but I noticed she still isn't moving ( at least not nearly as much as before) and I just noticed her back feet are a bright red color and I'm wondering if she injured or has an illness if so, how do I treat it? I don't know what to do
Posted via Mobile Device

Attachments

• Resized_20200327_162152.jpg
    Resized_20200327_162152.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 675
  • Resized_20200327_162339.jpg
    Resized_20200327_162339.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 220

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Did she come like this or did this develop over time? Was she housed alone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Indie3321

Reaction score
Did she come like this or did this develop over time? Was she housed alone?
No she did not come like this, I noticed this 1 or 2 days ago and yes she is housed alone, I don't have a filtered tank I just have a standard tank that I have to change the water every day, and sometimes I have to take her out of the tank by hand and move her to another one.

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
No she did not come like this, I noticed this 1 or 2 days ago and yes she is housed alone, I don't have a filtered tank I just have a standard tank that I have to change the water every day, and sometimes I have to take her out of the tank by hand and move her to another one.
I've kept axolotls like that (changing the water, though usually it was more than a day). I would just keep an eye on it and, if it doesn't change and the animal keeps eating, I would assume it's benign.

kaixingin

Reaction score
Her feeties look a bit irritated. It might go away on its own but if theres any gentler way to transfer her when changing the tank, I'd try that. I work at a pet store where we have to clean betta cups every day and instead of netting them over and over, we sort of dump them into a temporary cup with their water, clean out their container, and then, over a bucket, start pouring the dirty water out in the bucket and when the fish is about to come out or looks like it wants to swim out, we catch them in the clean water. It sounds kind of hard and maybe you can modify it for your situation, but I know some axolotls can get sensitive skin reactions to being touched with bare hands. Just a though but as John said, just monitor.

faebugz

Reaction score
Chiming in a bit late, I suppose, but she looks very skinny to me! I could be wrong as I am new to axolotls, but that looks very thin for what I've seen. Feeding more might help any current health issues

mkelly

Reaction score
Just a fun fact I suppose?
Also it might be worth getting a sponge filter? Then you don't need to do daily water changes (which could be stressful), and the filter is very gentle. The one I have is just powered by an air pump. I don't remember either being very expensive, and it provided very low flow which was perfect for my beta fish which I had in a 15g.

jax

Reaction score
Is the water being treated when being changed? It should use a solution to remove chlorine. Another possibility could be, was the tank allowed to cycle before? As this could have an affect with ammonia and Nitrate levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!