Juvenile lucy has red bits in gills?

Paigemob

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Jester. He is a juvenile approximately 4 months old. I changed his water a week ago and have since noticed some of his gill hairs have turned red? He is still eating good but I'm really concerned...

Attachments

• 20210117_134852.jpg
    20210117_134852.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 20210117_134612.jpg
    20210117_134612.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Hm, that may be him growing. My axolotl, when I wake her up, she has uneven blood distribution through her gills like that. It could be an irritation though. Have you seen him scratching at them with his hands or feet? I don't think it's anything super major. He is still quite small. Hard to say.

Hm, that may be him growing. My axolotl, when I wake her up, she has uneven blood distribution through her gills like that. It could be an irritation though. Have you seen him scratching at them with his hands or feet? I don't think it's anything super major. He is still quite small. Hard to say.
Thank you for the reply. I am doing 20% water changes daily with treated water just to make sure nothing is irritating him. I hope if something is wrong with him it improves.

I would definitely wait and see if anyone else replies to this. I am not the most experienced owner and when my friend had me take in her axolotl, hers was already 2 years old, so I have no experience with young ones.

But yes, continue with the water changes, and just be vigilant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back