Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Juvenile Pleurodeles Waltl Dying. HELP ME.

Die

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm having a big problem; my juveniles are 2-3 months old, most have completely morphed.
Yesterday I found one dead, for no apparent reason, he was still completing his metamorphosis, so i tought it could be because of that.
but now i was checking them, and i found another one dead... this one is completely morphed, he seemed healthy till this morning, and now is dead.
I don't know what i'm doing wrong.
I keep them in a wide tank, with 10-12 cm of water, a lot of plants, and i have changed some water 3 days ago. they are at 20° C.
There is only one thing i'm thinking to be the cause, there are a couple of planorbarius (snail) in the tank that have laid some eggs... maybe the newts eat the young snails and die?
I don't know what to think... should i keep out of the water the morphed ones? are they drowning?
Please HELP ME.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 333
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 197
  • image1 (2).jpg
    image1 (2).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 222

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
My guess is to much food or water quality issues. Do you have a filter in that set up.? If not a sponge filter couldn't hurt.

Die

Reaction score
Food quantity you say? I feed them once per day, chironomus or earthworms. some are thinner than others... those 2 who died were pretty well fed, but nothing special.
I just cleaned up all the tank, changed the water and removed all the snails. Also i've put in a small floating area if they need it...
no filters used for them... maybe i could try to put one in if the water quality is the main problem.
but i made regular water changes, 20% every 1-2 weeks, i mean, the water didn't look so dirty and toxic for them... :(

CatSpit

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your newts are dying. Do you test the water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH? That is important as you can't tell just from looking at the water and testing the water will give you a better idea of when you need to be doing water changes.

Die

Reaction score
so, the water quality may be the problem for you?
I didn't think it could be so deadly. I'll make sure the water is cleaner in the future.
Hope to not loose more of them... it's always sad.
If you have more advices, i'll be happy to read them.

Die

Reaction score
yes i have one, not professional at all... now i've changed the water, but it's clear I have to keep it more monitored.

CatSpit

Reaction score
That's great you have a test kit. Hopefully monitoring your water and doing water changes as needed will help with the health of your newts.

Die

Reaction score
I really hope you are right!
Thank you very much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1