Kaiser newt fungus?

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a Kaiser newt for a couple of months now she has been eating well and active but I recently went on a four day vacation and when I came back the water level had dropped and the temperature wen up. I didn't get a thermometer until a few days after and I realized the temperature was too high in the mid seventies. She had been floating on top of the water for the past day until I started outing an ice pack every couple of hours. But I noticed small white fuzzy things on her toes and one toe has gone. How should I remedy this? I have never had an issue with a fungus before.

I gave her a few salt baths but nothing changed she hasn't ate but I got the cage temperature down her leg is slowly being over taken and nothing I do works please help me

Hi,
I don't have newts, but it would be useful if you could post some pictures of the problem, and give as much information as possible. The experienced keepers will then be able to help out with the problem.
Best of luck.

Try furan2 in the water. You might want to consider putting her on land and treating with triple antibiotic or silvidine.

Well the moment I have been dreading came, and she has died. So disappointed in both the fact that such a beautiful animal died and that I have failed to provide adequate care for her. I'll just give up on newts until I feel I can provide the proper husbandry.

I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Well the moment I have been dreading came, and she has died. So disappointed in both the fact that such a beautiful animal died and that I have failed to provide adequate care for her. I'll just give up on newts until I feel I can provide the proper husbandry.

A heart wrenching experience for you which has clearly knocked your confidence and love you have for the hobby. However, you can't just quit. Pick yourself up. Dust yourself down and start planning for your next newt. What you have actually gained is vital experience which will inform your decision making and amphibian husbandry in the future. Experience you don't get reading an article or planning a project, real life experience. Think about others who have lost newts because they have climbed out of their tank and desiccated behind the sofa, the young newts that have eaten each other, tadpoles that fail to hatch, those which have drowned, those which have refused to eat and faced away. There will always be risks but your experience will minimise them because you'll anticipate and you'll act immediately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back