Keeping daphnia alive! Help!

sgtsiler

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've watched every YouTube tutorial and I just can't keep daphnia or gammarus alive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
Daphnias and gammarus need a lot of oxygen.

For gammarus, you can perform that with a bubbler. Don't forget to put some dead leaves in their tank (for hide and food).

For daphnias, it's a bit more complex since bubbles in their shell can make them float.
Aquatic live and active plants like Egeria, with a good light, may be a solution.

In any case, these species don't thrive well in too warm water.

I have a fluval V that I set up to house 2 breeding newts that I just cleaned out and am using to grow egeria. I'll turn off the water pump and add the remaining gammarus. Since I can't use a filter, do I just do water changes? How much and how often? I appreciate your help!

That should be good for gammarus. They also need to hide, so some dead oak leaves on the bottom should be Ok.
Minor but frequent water changes may be worth trying since gammarus are more frequent in little streams.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back