Large egg => large hatchling

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Laura
My very first spawning - two axies I raised from eggs are finally mature. :)

Anyhow, I noticed about 2 days after they were laid that in the 851 eggs (carefully counted by my daughter), that there were 3 noticeably bigger eggs. I separated them out. One was damaged in the process and one was infertile, but the third hatched into a noticeably bigger larva. Has anyone else seen things like this? I am curious.

I tried to take pictures, but I am still figuring out my new smart phone ... maybe tomorrow.

My larger females lay larger eggs than my smaller females and these larger eggs hatch into larger babies.

These eggs were all laid by the same female at the same time. So, I am curious as to why only a couple of eggs where bigger. We will probably never know. :)

I read somewhere (I can' find it now) about triploid eggs being bigger, so I was wondering if the larva were going to be deformed/non-viable. But so far, the larva seems healthy and normal, but bigger than the siblings.

This batch looks all leucistic. They aren't big enough (for me) to tell if any are melanoid also. (I don't know what recessives the parents have, and the father is a mosaic, which made predicting a bit complicated.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back