Larvae feeding

DemMa

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hi. So my axolotl larvae hatched two days ago. I have live brine shrimp and daphnia, but I don’t know how much and how often I am supposed to feed them. There are around 20 larvae.
Thank you in advance!

The hatchlings will still be eating their yoke sack for the first 24-48 hours after hatching. Because of this it is not necessary to feed them for the first 1-2 days after hatching. After this time they should be fed live, newly hatched brine shrimp that have been rinsed in freshwater to remove the salt. The brine shrimp should be fed to the hatchlings with a pipette or eye dropper by gently releasing the brine shrimp very close to the axolotl’s head. Because their feeding response is entirely based on movement at this stage in their development, they will only instinctually bite at shrimp that are swimming near enough to them that they can feel the movement in the water caused by the shrimp’s swimming. Feeding should take place twice to three times a day, with enough care for each hatchling. When axolotls begin growing their front and hind legs, they are known as juveniles. While their limbs are developing they go through a cannibalistic phase, where they will bite off the gills or developing limbs of their siblings. Make sure to separate them into separate containers to avoid nipping.
At this stage you can begin feeding thawed frozen bloodworm to your axolotls. Switching them from live baby brine shrimp, to frozen bloodworm is one of the most difficult aspects of raising juveniles. The bloodworms are a too large to feed whole at first, so you will need to chop up the cube of bloodworm until the pieces are small enough to be swallowed by the juveniles whole. You should feed each juvenile individually using a pipette. Gently wiggle the worm piece at the end of the pipette until the axolotl is enticed to bite it. It may take several attempts before the axolotl recognizes the bloodworm as something that’s edible and is willing to swallow it. Persistence and patience are key. Do not leave uneaten bloodworm in the tank with the axolotl.

Thank you very much for your response. You answered all of my questions!

If they are available, you could also try live blackworms for the in between period of baby brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I usually cut some up so they aren't too long. This should make the change over a bit easier.

If they are available, you could also try live blackworms for the in between period of baby brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I usually cut some up so they aren't too long. This should make the change over a bit easier.
Yes, I will definitely try it! Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back