Larvae in need of salt bath!

H

heather

after recent inspection of all my larvae it looks like a few of my babies have a fungal problem with their gills.
What is a <u> safe</u> salt bath solution? (The measurements i mean)in teaspoons per liter would be nice.
biggrin.gif

no need to worry! its very minor!

I believe that its 2 teaspoons per litre, making sure that its fully dissolved. I guess this is safe for larvae,
uhoh.gif
but I've never used it. Sorry.

the area I live in has soft water, I think this could be the cause, I will add salt to try to make the water a bit harder when I do my water changes...

I dont want to use anything too strong. I kinda figured a larval axolotl's skin and gills would be more delicate...

I will wait to see what others think just to be on the safe side.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

In case you didn't catch it, here's the section:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Concentrations of salt used vary from 4-6 grams/Liter to 10-25 grams per liter with exposure times of up to 72 hours for the low concentration and 10-30 minutes for the high concentration. The salt used is always non-iodized salt. Table salt has a compound added to prevent it from caking up, and it should not be used. Preferred types of salt are: sea salt, freshwater aquarium salt, or Kosher salt.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

okay, since my question isnt exactly being answered i will reword my quesstion:

Is it safe to give larvae salt baths?
If so should i use a low concentration of salt or a normal one?

Heather - I would think it would be safe for them. But I might cut the solution strength down a little and I would test soak half a dozen larvae and then make sure they are alive the next day before I soaked them all.

I'm not sure about safety heather - but with larvae i haven't found salt baths to be very effective. One of my tanks (and i'm thankful i took the advice not to raise all my eggs in the one basket - as it were!)had a fungal infection, and although i tried to save the affected young 'uns with salt baths, none of them recovered. Sadly i lost around 2/3 of the larvae in that tank..........hope you have more luck - but I'd concentrate on isolating the affected ones if I were you, and keeping a close eye on the rest

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back