Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae is here. Question of genetic defect “quark screw” and humane euthanasia.

joseywolves

Reaction score
Hey guys!
so all the eggs have hatched and I have roughly 230-ish efts

I’ve had three tiny efts not make it. Crushed me. I have one eft who is growing, but it’s conjoined( from the first time he came outa the egg) and only swims in a quark screw. It’s clearly eating though.

my question is. Is this a genetic defect that it will be able to grow out of? Do you think it will have a good quality of life? Or, do I euthanize it?
Follow up. What do you believe is the most human way to euthanize.

(if anyone is wondering. My Hatcher set up is 10 large Pyrex glass bakers. With air stones and lids. Daily water changes/ feeds with baby brine shrimp) I have a 300 gallon above water/ indoor pond that some of these that I don’t sell to the pet stores will live in. The pond is in my art studio, I’m an illustrator. I’ve got bigger plans for the future, but I also might decide to not do this again. We’ll see.

Bonus question.
the sire is a leucitic and the mother is a golden albino. What colors do you think the efts will be. I can see a lot of golden albino yellows, a few leucitic(black eyes) and couple of white albinos(non black eyes) and then all the green ones. What color do you think they will become?

this is my first go at raising these little guys. Any input is absolutely welcomed.
Thanks I’m advance.

Attachments

• FBC5F7F2-551B-43F1-A532-1FDE45990D77.jpeg
    FBC5F7F2-551B-43F1-A532-1FDE45990D77.jpeg
    977 KB · Views: 379

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
the twisty ones generally dont make it

I dont keep more than 10-20 per container as even 12 hour water changes they cause spikes.

you look to have at minimum

wild
golden albino
leucistic albino - possibly
leucistic - possibly
I think I see a possible melanoid as well

I would need better pictures with a white underneath like paper towel- once I can positively ID a few key morphs i can tell you all the morphs you should have and the parents genetics

joseywolves

Reaction score
Well the little curled tail one is still kickin. I feel bad every day I see it. Idk what to do. So I’m just letting it develop, but then I feel like I’m being cruel for that...

thanks for the color breakdown. There does seem to be a few lavender black melaniods, which would be awesome for me, I love them.

joseywolves

Reaction score
Haven’t tested it. But I remember when I rescued my pair, they said the male (Lucy) was GFP.

I fell into this world on accident three years ago because I met a couple who had these two in a literal five gallon tank but decided they couldn’t take care of them. Since I love animals so much I took them in. Fell in love. And my want to give them a true open life is just developing and developing. Eventually I want to go from a 300 gallon tub to a 500 and keep growing from there. Haha I want to make a full sanctuary one day and just rescue them all.

lol I’m just a random illustrator/designer. I think it’s why I have the care and imagination for them.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I have dreams for a river system for my axos with big open ponds along the way - all indoor and filtered but ya

a blue LED flashlight is awesome for finding GFP

Okay so in a week or 2 heres how I separate

Wilds all together first - dark with shiny eye rings
then melanoids - dark no shiny eye rings
then leucistics - rest of the black eyes with light or speckled bodies basically
then golden albinos
then white albinos

you should have shiny and non shiny eye rings in the leucistics, golden albinos and white albinos.

If you have a GFP parent you should have a mix of gfp in each morph as well

Your white albinos MAY have some of the mel goldens as I find I cant tell them apart until 10-12 weeks.

If you have all these colors your leucistic is het albino, and mel and your golden is het leuci and mel

Haven’t tested it. But I remember when I rescued my pair, they said the male (Lucy) was GFP.

I fell into this world on accident three years ago because I met a couple who had these two in a literal five gallon tank but decided they couldn’t take care of them. Since I love animals so much I took them in. Fell in love. And my want to give them a true open life is just developing and developing. Eventually I want to go from a 300 gallon tub to a 500 and keep growing from there. Haha I want to make a full sanctuary one day and just rescue them all.

lol I’m just a random illustrator/designer. I think it’s why I have the care and imagination for them.

joseywolves

Reaction score
Incant really get a good picture of them yet.
but all(except a dozen or so) of none green or light lavender are golden. There’s just a handful of fully white non yellow. All of the non green light lavender ones don’t have black eyes. Not even one? Is that normal?

then there’s a few lavender colored ones. Here’s the best photo I could get.

I ordered a black light flashlight so I’m still waiting on that to test GFP.

Attachments

• 82C9D496-9B10-4033-A6FE-4B8857B5734C.jpeg
    82C9D496-9B10-4033-A6FE-4B8857B5734C.jpeg
    744.9 KB · Views: 148

EllieWind

Reaction score
From what I can see in your most recent picture you have wilds, melanoids, and golden albinos.

joseywolves

Reaction score
I just rescued a pair from a person who realized they were a lot more to take care of than fish.

he said he though one was a wild type.
but, this one looks like it could be something else.
Any input?

Attachments

• CD23BD20-29C4-42C8-8870-E233328CFC15.jpeg
    CD23BD20-29C4-42C8-8870-E233328CFC15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 137
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!