Larvae tiger salamander changing HELP

Ariel1223

Reaction score
Country
United States
My little larvae salamander is rapidly changing from water to land critter. It's little gills are pretty tiny now, coming up for air a lot and his tail is no longer fin like. I have drastically lowered his water level and have his land tank ready. My question is at what point do I move him? Do I wait til his gills are completely gone? Before? I have no idea. Please help!

I have raised E. Tiger Larvae since mid70's and currently have 5 easterns today. Oldest 13 years old.

Once there gills are less than 0.25" long, i place them in a small temporary aquarium with 1" water level. Yes i use white or yellow gravel (only this time in their life) to produce the part on land. The brighter or lighter color helps the sal see the food placed in the aquarium. Rocks are used to build caves for hides on the land part.

I drop small worms in the aquarium or try to hand feed the new sal (this usually does not happen). if the worm falls near the sal and moves around, they will chase the it.
I never had a sal eat any of the gravel !

USUALLY, they will accept worms from the owner within 2 weeks. At that point, i place the sal into the more natuaral setting of Potting soil and Cocnut fiber 1:1 mixture. The first 2-3 years of their life i try to feed them daily (for max. growth) worms, waxworms, crickets....

Enjoy
Hope this helps.

When I could see the gills shrinking.. and they shrink fast, I lowered the water a little and provided some rocks that break the water surface, plus extra plants. I found that it would haul up on the rocks and plants, but happily go underwater for long periods of time. I didn't rush to put it in a terrestrial set up as it seemed comfortable. I then transferred it to a soil based tub with a water bowl ( like a dogs water bowl). The bowl has a rock to make exiting easier.My little tiger has been terrestrial now may be six months now and I still find it lolling about in its water bowl :)

P.S 'It' is called Hopalong as it only has three functioning legs, I don't know the sex yet :/

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back