Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Larval Tiger Wont Eat

Wyvell

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a larval Tiger salamander that has stopped eating. He keeps gulping air and floating as well. For a while he was eating a diet of bloodworms, earthworms and wax worms. He slowly stopped eating them one by one and now I cant get him to eat at all.

Water parameters are all great and I check almost daily. The water temp was a bit low for a while so we recently warmed it up to around 66 degrees F. The filter in the tank is a sponge filter to cut down on water movement and we do regular water changes.

We had been salt bathing him because he had developed a small fungus on a gill but it has since gone away. Should I start salt baths again? Do I need to Fridge him?

I am just worried about him because we got him when he was already in rough shape and he is still really skinny. We have had him around 3 months but he has not grown at all. His color seems to have gotten much lighter as well.

Wyvell

Reaction score
I had tried giving him the Newt and Salamander sinking pellets from Omega One but it seemed like he couldnt find them. it does not seem that he is very bright..

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
John had success feeding his c.b. tiger salamanders soft moist salmon pellets.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fungal infection coupled with the loss of appetite would make me think there was a problem with water quality, are you certain that ammonia and nitrite levels are zero?
Other than that, I'd say he could be morphing, how big is he?

Wyvell

Reaction score
He is about 4 inches long. I have lowered the water to about 4 inches. He has a piece of wood and a rock that are a bit out of the water now to get out on. He was already Ill when we got him, he had been doing well but has since stopped eating. It has almost been 3 weeks now since he ate.

Wyvell

Reaction score
Well, after about three weeks of not eating our tiger salamander has passed away. I tried everything I could find to help him but he just wouldn't eat. We discovered him the other morning after not seeing him for a day or so we picked up the top rock of his favorite hide to discover him upside down.

I really do think this is because of the condition we got him in and there was not a lot we could do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1