Lava Rock and Axies?

Wysper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Crystal
I have some spare lava rock that is just sitting around... was wondering if it would be ok with my babies?

Hubby thinks I should add some more rocks for them to lounge on, which I TOTALLY agree with..... but I told him I didn't think the lava rock would be such a good idea, cause it's so rough and they don't have the protective scales like my cichlids do.

Any feedback on using lava rocks?

Personally I want to build my own and go with more slate type lounges and hides, but having a hard time finding the right rock to use.

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I use it. I buried it at first but now that he's bigger and needs more hides, it's all out in the open. I just changed it all today and am making a post with a pic.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
Lava rock suppose to house good bacteria very well, I would vote for lava rock . As long as it's not on the bottom of the tank and your axie have no reason to thrash around then it's a great idea.;)

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mine sits on the bottom and Stelly thrashed when he freaks out, but it's more rough than sharp. I would think that as long as water quality is good, minor scrapes would heal fine yes?

Wysper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Crystal
I picked up a Maya rock decoration yesterday at PetSmart, about the same texture as lava rock.

I asked on a facebook forum if they thought it would be ok for them, and was blatantly told NO, they would never use lava rock in their tanks.

So differing opinions I guess, like substrate or no substrate.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
I never use lava rock my self so as far as experience go I have none. If someone said no I think you should listen to it.

Takuwan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't... Lava rocks can be really sharp! I wouldn't risk an injury. How about some smooth river stones? I have a few in my lotl's tank and they look nice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1