Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laws and Places to Sell Axolotls in Ohio? Lots of Questions.

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking for any information you think may be helpful. I currently have around 190 baby axolotls. They hatched 2/26-2/28. Some of them are a bit over 2". I am aware they should be sold at 3"+ for safety reasons, but I'd like to get some information beforehand. I live in Ohio.

• Does anybody know if I need a permit or anything to sell them?

• Where is it legal to sell them (platforms, not U.S. states.)

• What's the best way to sell them? Several people that contacted me here will be notified when the babies are ready to go, before any are sold to others.

• What is the best way to ship them? (Best box size? Best insulation? What kind of fish bags? Do I need to buy identification stickers?)

• Does anybody know of some axolotl-savvy pet stores they could go to? I live near Cleveland, Ohio and could make the drive to Columbus or possibly further. My parents have been helping me take care of these little monsters and they want them out of here ASAP.

• What should I do with the weird axolotls? I have 3 that are much smaller than the others. I know they cannot be bred and should probably go to people that have experience with axolotls.

• 101 (including the 3 oddballs) are in good condition and are individually housed. The rest I have to keep in large containers. With school, life, etc. It's too much to have them ALL individually spaced out. What should I do with these, er, lower-quality ones? (It sounds really bad but I couldn't think of a better description. Most are pretty beat up...)

• Could someone help me identify coloration/morph so I can label them properly? Or connect me with someone who can? I can tell the difference between melanoid and non-melanoid by the eyes, but I'm not so good with the body coloration. They are currently kept in white containers, so that I can see them better but this does make their colors much lighter. The parents are a black melanoid and a non-melanoid leucistic. I do not have grandparent information. This was an accidental clutch. (Male and an unknown-gender axolotl in one tank. There was a divider due to size difference. It fell, they bred, nobody got hurt. I'm a softie and didn't have the heart to cull the eggs.)
If you've made it this far, thank you for reading! Thanks for checking this post out even if you can't help. I will post pictures of the babies within a few days.

Wewewe

Reaction score
I want 1 if you still have any how much for 1 and what would it cost to ship im in illinois usps may work do you except PayPal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1