laws on axolotl morphs

Gemunicorn9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
now that the uk has left the EU are gfp and glofish ect legal here i cant find any information

I wouldn’t recommend getting transgenic Axolotls. Genes could be passed unnoticed and nature is so more beautiful. Everybody is free to act though.

now that the uk has left the EU are gfp and glofish ect legal here i cant find any information
i wouldn't think that GFP axolotls would be banned, as the injection of the protein was several years ago and all current axolotls (from my knowledge at least) obtained it genetically

i wouldn't think that GFP axolotls would be banned, as the injection of the protein was several years ago and all current axolotls (from my knowledge at least) obtained it genetically
Are you sure about that ? I don’t think gfp Axolotls are common in Europe. I remember some glow fish when I was a kid and I live in France. But never have I seen axies with gfp traits. And the one in Europe mostly come from first imports a hundred years ago (well, also to my knowledge for this last point).

Are you sure about that ? I don’t think gfp Axolotls are common in Europe. I remember some glow fish when I was a kid and I live in France. But never have I seen axies with gfp traits. And the one in Europe mostly come from first imports a hundred years ago (well, also to my knowledge for this last point).
i live in the US, so i can't be sure on european law, but from what i understand all current animals with the GFP gene obtained it through their parents. in the US there are quite a few GFPS, i work with local breeders and about half of their stock is GFP.

GMO's usually get their genes from their parents. There is certainly somewhere in their history where there is some horizontal transfer from another species. The GFP gene comes from jellyfish and any axolotls with GFP are GMO's. Whether they are legal in the UK I can't say.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back