Leaf litter, chia, flax seed and millet

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Elaine
I live in Tucson, AZ and I wanted to add leaf litter to my salamander tank.
I don't have access to oak or maple leaves. Can I use grape leaves for my leaf litter without causing harm to the salamander?
I would like to have something that looks like grassy area in my tank.
Can I plant chia seeds, flax seeds or millet in the tank without harming the salamander?
My tank has a 50/50 mix of eco earth and play sand along with 60% top soil (ingredients: forest wood products, composted material and sandy loom).
I appreciate any assistance you can provide.
Thank you very much.

Hi Elaine, go take a day with a picnic in Payson. There's mainly pine up there but also areas of deciduous poplars etc with leaf mould.
Grape leaves are eaten by many creatures including people so I reckon they're ok for your salamanders. Will you let them rot down a bit first so they don't go mouldy in your tank?
As for greenery the plants you suggest kinda like it dry. In my use I can recommend tradescantia which grows nicely and doesn't mind wet not that your sals won't to sit in wet. They are tolerant of poor light quality too. If you do buy in plants from the store, please be aware they are likely to have been sprayed by goodness what to keep moulds and bugs away as well as growth enhancers so give them a good rinse and maybe leave them for a few weeks so these chemicals dissipate. Have a great day. I love AZ.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back