Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lee's cricket keeper

TJ

Reaction score
Anybody else use this product to keep their crickets? I bought one today, and am finding it <u>extremely</u> useful
biggrin.gif

Here's a link that gives reviews of this product:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/reviews/product.php?id=36

Since I order crickets 1,000 at a time, I'm probably going to get a couple more.

E

edward

Hi Tim,

I just use a tank but with the same general idea. I just keep a couple of paper towel rolls in the tank to make it easir to catch the crickets.
(although shouldn't this be in the testimonial section??)
Ed

(Message edited by ed on June 11, 2006)

tony

Reaction score
seen those at just about every pet store chain. most carry both the small and larger models seen
HERE

also i've seen products like THESE some are fancy like that model and i've seen others which where basically a plastic tub, a lid with a large whole in the center and small airholes, and a plastictube to put in the whole in the center of the tube. you could easily construct something like that with everyday household items

TJ

Reaction score
Cool.

I suppose one might make something similar from household items. But not just any plastic tube would do. These tubes are coated in the inside to allow the crickets to gain traction, so that the tubes readily fill up with crickets. One just has to remove a tube and shake it at feeding time. Nice idea. I used to just keep my crickets in newspaper. Paper towel rolls would probably do just fine if they're occasionally changed. But don't you have crickets hopping all over the paper towels when you go to remove them? Not that it'd be a major problem to just shake them off, but there'd be escapes if the shaking is not done carefully or in a deep enough container. Not so with these, as the outside surface is too smooth and inclined for the crickets to climb up. Also, with a roll placed horizontally, I'd think there'd be dead crickets among the live ones if its not set at an angle. With these tubes, however, I suppose the dead ones just fall down to the bottom of the tank.

As far as it being in the testimonial section, well it could even go under Product Reviews for that matter. I was thinking this might stimulate some discussion on the best way to keep crickets -- seeing as the description for this general topic is discussion of "the culture of live food, feeding techniques, and any thing else live food-related." Perhaps I'll alter the thread title to something more general
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Despite that glowing endorsement I made, it turns out I'm not using mine at the moment
smile6.gif

Not that there's anything all that wrong with it, but it doesn't accommodate as many crickets as I would like (I'm using the largest size available). Another downside of it is that while the concept is great, the lid is difficult to take off compared with most containers of this type. Also, it's difficult to navigate the tubes to clean the container and to add food and water. And he little circular taps that attach above the tubes constantly fall off. Furthermore, the air ventilation spaces in the lid wide enough that the smallest crickets can escape. I'm now thinking of making my own container, a roomier one with various modifications, based on this concept. If only I knew how to coat the inside of the tubes to give them traction for the crickets.

J

joseph

Maybe use rough sandpaper or a file? If that doesn't work you could tape something rough(sandpaper, paper towel) inside the tube and leave 1/2 of the circumference clear to look into it.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on July 19, 2006)

C

coen

I just bought one, the small one, and I think it's a great subsitute to keeping the crickets. Normally I would leave them in the box i got them in, just a small plastic box with a piece of egg-carton (sp?).

However, this is much better! I keep the smallest crickets available and haven't seen any escapes so far.

R

roy

I've never had problems keeping crickets alive in the boxes you buy them in.
I add some fish or dog food and put a piece of paper towel under the lid. one end of the paper towel is hanging in a small tube with water and the other end is used by the crickets to drink.

C

cameron

I use Lee's Cricket Keeper for my tarantulas and it gives me easy access to the crickets cause they are all in the tube. Makes life easier!

jessica

Reaction score
I use a baby formula can throw in a piece of apple and wet paper towel.Works!! But I need something better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!