Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lepidobatrachus laevis

jelkins

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on how old these frogs should be before you aestivate them? Probably their first year, right?

Any additional information regarding their husbadry would be appreciated.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If they have a history of feeding well then you can estivate them quite safely once they are about about 1/3 grown (for a female at least). Just to be safe, I would say once the frog is close to 4 cm you should be golden.

These frogs are pretty straightforward to look after, and they're somewhat forgiving of not so great water quality (though I would ensure you have a good filter, preferably with the filter output deflected so as to reduce the flow in the water section a little). Late 20s Celsius (early 80s F) are a good day time temperature, and a small drop at night is fine but not necessary.

jelkins

Reaction score
Thanks, that was helpful.

These are my first 'frogs' I'm mainly interested in caudates, but L. laevis seems like a really interesting species to me.

Have you bred yours before?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, that was helpful.

These are my first 'frogs' I'm mainly interested in caudates, but L. laevis seems like a really interesting species to me.

Have you bred yours before?
Hi Justin,

You are welcome. No, I have never bred them, but I would like to some day (I'm not currently keeping any Budgett's frogs though). The only frogs I have are African Bullfrogs/Pyxies - Pyxicephalus adspersus - 1 adult male, 1 juvenile male and 1 unknown (hoping female). I really want to breed those. If you like Lepidobatrachus, you will probably like Pyxies and maybe Pacman frogs (Ceratophrys).

PS: I'm actually working on a completely new discussion forum specifically for these kinds of medium to large anurans. I'll be making an announcement about it in the next couple of weeks.

Best wishes,

-John

jelkins

Reaction score
Pyxies and Pacman frogs are also very interesting frogs, but man I have tell you, I'm out of space for any new amphibians:
-5 P. waltl
-5 A. mexicanum
-2 A. tigrinum
-2 L. laevis

I'd like to breed these frogs as I'm primarily interested in keeping species that can be captive bred without too much tinkering. I'm hoping by keeping my tigers in an outside enclosure I can coax them into breeding, but that's a different topic and forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1