Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leptopelis uluguruensis

asfouts

Reaction score
Seattle Reptiles just announced on their website that the L. uluguruensis was going to be sold soon. I looked the frog up and he is the cutest thing I have ever seen and I want it badly. However there is absolutely no info on keeping them on the web. I know they are tanzanian and thats about it. I know a guy who will give me 48 gallon custom tanks for free so space isnt a problem. But if anyone knew ideal temp, diet, setup, etc. it would be much appreciated :D

I will have to use the force to convince my parents to allow more pets.

Last edited:

methodik

Reaction score
I also wanted a pair of those for a while now, sadly imports from Tanzania have been stopped (at least the ones I knew about). I will just sum up some of the info of a short caresheet I have in this book on captive amphibian care.

Temp: 20-26 °C, night-active, up to 8 cm (in females)

Well planted rainforest vivarium, small waterpart. Always lightly moist soil (from the woods) with 5-10 cm moss piles on top of it. If kept to dry, the frogs will burrow. No breeding reported, but eggs deposited after daylong rainfall (as in many or most treefrogs...)

I think those are very basic, but esp. the relatively high soil + mosses and the waterpart are important here. They lay their eggs on the soil(!) near the waterpart and in nature they will be washed into the water by the rain, so make sure to either check very often when you expect eggs or to have a slightly angular soil so the eggs or larvae can easily glide into the water.

asfouts

Reaction score
Thank you both for the info. I was going to call them to see when "soon" is. So I assume due to their small size fruit flies and small crickets are going to be the main diet right? And is their any specific soil I need. Like do I need to go to the pet store and buy some "tropical soil" because its expensive :/.

methodik

Reaction score
I think you can go with organic soil + stuff taken from the woods (if not polluted by agriculture), like for most salamanders. For the diet I guess you are right, I think I also read on the webs that you can offer worms... Good luck with them. I'd love to have this species, they look phantastic and their call is very gentle.

asfouts

Reaction score
Okay this will be a relatively cost efficient project. Im just hoping the frogs themselves are not bizarre prices. If only lichens didnt grow so slow I would put some into my tank to make their spots stand out.

Well anyway again thank you I hope this frog comes your way too. They really are a fantastic looking little frog.

asfouts

Reaction score
If you know how to keep Leptopelis vermiculatus than you're okay according to some. I've read this on a couple of sites that their husbandry is the same.

Thanks Niels D. I have a captive reptile, arthropod, amphibian book with the leptopelis vermiculatus, but no leptopelis uluguruensis so that helped.

asfouts

Reaction score
Methodik: You are right about the delay of trade in Tanzania.

The owner of seattle reptiles will inform me when the shipments are back on. Until then I will fill my time and this thread with the setup. Im thinking cloudy montane forest setup. I will post pics and such when I can.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Don't waste your time with fruitflies. This species is typically about 5cm long, and is a treefrog. While smaller than L.flavomaculatus and L.vermiculatus, they will still easily consume 3-4wk crickets ["Heimchen", Acheta domestica].

asfouts

Reaction score
Frogeyes: thanks. I will go heavier on crickets then. Do you know anything about worms? I feel that since these frogs require burrowing substrate I would have to wave worms in their face in order for them to actually be eaten.

Judy S

Reaction score
Have been away from this site for quite a while...I love Leptopelis Uluguruensis, and want very much to stimulate interest in this beautiful frog. From Tanzania, which has strict export regulations..I think..., it is a difficult tree frog to obtain. I have waited for about two years to get a group..to go with the two I've had (males)...and hope that in the group have a couple of girls...there have been no successful breeding so far in the U.S. And from what I have gleaned from the grapevine, the Europeans with some success have been unwilling to share info...but that is a rumor..So now I have to figure out who is who, and what is what..and try to plan a breeding type of tank...any and all suggestions would be hugely appreciated....thanks, Judy S Am also on DB, Dart Den. and Fauna under the same screen name...if I do have any success...the people who pass along some useful, productive info get first crack at any babies...!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1