Locating Axolotls

killifish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm a long time Axolotl keeper & breeder. I have been breeding them for over 20 years. But I messed up.

I am a science teacher and I have breed axolotls every year to raise in my class with my students. I have always rehomed about 99% of the axolotls I raise. I would give them to students who could demonstrate that they had a proper setup at home and I had parents permission. I would also give them away for free to anyone who was a teacher in my area as classroom pets. I have given away hundreds of axolotls.

I switched schools about 7 years ago. My axolotls would breed annually, but I wouldn't raise any of the eggs because I didn't have the right setup at first. Now I am ready to breed them and I think they are just too old. My youngest pair is 12-13 years old, and no eggs have been laid in 3 years. I have a 140 gallon heavily planted tank in my room for just 3 axolotls. She I first came to this school, I had 12, but I have been loosing 1 or 2 a year because of old age.

So, the trick is... How do I find more baby axolotls? Looking for suggestions. I found my original 10 from a guy on this list from Pittsburgh (again, that was about 20 years ago).

Thanks for any help.

Check out Gillywater Aquatics, Rainy Day Aquatics, The Mottled Lotl, and Orion’s Axolotls. All of them ship and regularly have quality stock available! Between the 4 of the, you should find what you are looking for

Hello if your still searching I have some babies that will be ready in a month or so for rehoming

I got you,
Hey everyone. I'm a long time Axolotl keeper & breeder. I have been breeding them for over 20 years. But I messed up.

I am a science teacher and I have breed axolotls every year to raise in my class with my students. I have always rehomed about 99% of the axolotls I raise. I would give them to students who could demonstrate that they had a proper setup at home and I had parents permission. I would also give them away for free to anyone who was a teacher in my area as classroom pets. I have given away hundreds of axolotls.

I switched schools about 7 years ago. My axolotls would breed annually, but I wouldn't raise any of the eggs because I didn't have the right setup at first. Now I am ready to breed them and I think they are just too old. My youngest pair is 12-13 years old, and no eggs have been laid in 3 years. I have a 140 gallon heavily planted tank in my room for just 3 axolotls. She I first came to this school, I had 12, but I have been loosing 1 or 2 a year because of old age.

So, the trick is... How do I find more baby axolotls? Looking for suggestions. I found my original 10 from a guy on this list from Pittsburgh (again, that was about 20 years ago).

Thanks for any help.
Mine just had eggs. I'm dealing with a mess of larvae. Message me, I will be happy to help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back