Illness/Sickness: Long toed salamander stopped eating

Jemmiedodger

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two long toed salamanders both a bit more than a year old. One of them stopped eating about last month, I had cleaned the tank right before I went on a two week trip, and one of them wasn't eating as much, but did eat once or twice before I went. I had my family make sure to feed them while I was gone and the one that had been eating ate, but the one that was being a little more finicky didn't. Once I returned I thought that I would be able to get the finicky one to eat, but I've had no luck. His tail is now very thin and I'm worried.

I've had them for their entire lives, I raised them from eggs, as a science project. They used to eat blood worms, but once they lost their gills they transitioned to a maggot based diet. They hadn't had any problems until now. I haven't been dusting them, I didn't know that was a thing until I started trying to figure this out. They live in a rather small tank, probably less than one gallon, because I had been told that it was and ok size, they weren't really meant to be pets. They've lived in there their whole lives. It's full of moss and logs from where they were born, renewed when decomposing. The maggots love in Sawdust, so it could be impaction, if it is is there anything to do?

Try offering small, live, earthworms. Don't try and feed too often or else that could stress them.
Maybe add extra worms to their setup as well as woodlice, that way he could find one and eat it even when your not there. Also, knowing how its been pretty hot lately, I would try and keep them cool. Try and not let them get above 70 degrees or so, as this may stress them.

Good luck, and I hope he eats! -Seth

Thank you! He finally ate. I think he was too hot, so I moved the tank to a colder place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back