Looking for a new pet

mamangenn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone. i have a 25 gallon fish tank available for a new pet:) i am starting to look around to find what is the best for our familly.

i have 3 kids( 9-8-5 years old) that want to be able to help taking care of the pet.

i have experience with freshwater fish tank( cichlid, guppy, platy... i have already 5 tank)

i have a 25 gallon long
with filter, heater and light
i a couple of kind of substrate ( sand or crush coral or little rock)
lots of plants from my other aquarium

at first i was thinking of an axolotl... but they are rare and expensive.

i was also thinking of african dwarf frog. one of my daughther absolutly love frog.

do you know other kind of pet that would be happy in that size aquarium? that my kids could be able to feed or help with them?

thank you

Axolotl's rare and expensive? They are rare in the wild which is a fact but thats not in captivity as they are quite commonly bred, but not expensive at all however not sure if they are so in Canada. But, no they are not expensive and they are commonly kept and sold in the pet trade. They are categorised as Critically Endangered which is more to do with the Wild individuals than the entire species.

Do you know the dimensions of the tank for example the Length x Height x Width in Feet, Inches or Centimeters? As I find it is a lot easier to be able to judge which species would be able to go into a tank that way rather than trying to guess it via Gallons.

Last edited:
it is

30 inch long, 18 height and i think 13

the axolot were 80 $ each. i find that a little too expensive

I hope those axolotls are made of solid gold to be that kind of price.

Perhaps keep your eye out on here- Canada is just coming into breeding season, so you can expect plenty of babies to be around over the next few months. As to your tank, those are pretty good dimensions for an axie. Substrate definitely should be sand, and the longer you can give the plants to establish their root system in the sand, the less chance of your axie deciding that the plant should be removed from their path :) As to the heater, axies hate heat, so you'd never need to use it. And as to a love of frogs, yay for frogs! I personally love frogs (But not as much as my axies), but they do have different requirements from an axolotl. The anura threads on here will have quite a bit of info on their care- hopefully it'll show which species (if not both! But in separate habitats :p ) is going to work best with your family :)

thank you all:) caitie: i will wait a bit if it is the breeding time soon. maybe i could get some axolotl for cheeper:)

thank you for your advice:)

No probs- and if you get your axie from someone on here, chances are they are going to be in much better health and temperament than one you bought at a pet store :p!
Next question: have you considered raising from an egg? The Solstice is coming up in ten days, so if you'd like to try it (it's brilliant fun, if a bit daunting and a bit of work), then keep your eyes peeled- I had two of my girls spawn for the first time in the week after the winter solstice down here.
And welcome to the obsession-uh, I mean hobby!

i would like to raise it from the egg:) my kids would be so happy to see it grow:)

i would have a lot of question if i get some eggs:)

If you want to raise some from eggs, try to source some live daphnia to feed them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back