Looking for assistance: finicky dual sponge filter

chevyfried

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning!

About 3 weeks ago I started getting my tank started cycling for adding an axo in late september (20g long). I bought a dual sponge filter (this one) with bio media that attaches to the side of the tank. I got a 40g air pump to run it. I have sand substrate. The only things in the tank currently is a glass jar, a few large rocks, baby groot and one plastic fake plant. I have a 2 fan water chiller that keeps the temps around 62F.

At first the filter didnt seem to want to pump water at all. After squishing the air out of the filter media, it started to pump water decently. That didnt last long, it started bubbling a lot again and I soon read up that the air pump was way underpowered, 2.9w vs 4w needed. So I went out and bought a 100 gallon air pump (I also have a baby groot with airstone, my kid loves Marvel) so its split with check valves and air regulators on each line.

Just an FYI, the tank is starting to algae bloom and has seemed to level out as it is not getting any denser white so I know now is the time it is important to have the filtration set so the bacteria can build up.

With the 100g air pump, everything started great once I primed the filter, water flowing beautifully. Then the next morning i work up to it bubbling again. It pumps water, but every 1/2 second or so a loud bubble gets through and the water flow is significantly less. Without the filter media on the tubes it flows fantastic. I even tried taking out about 1/3 the bio balls to see if it will assist. Again, it works good for a bit then back to bubbling. I have played around with the air regulator and have the sweet spot set right between where it pumps very little and only pumps air. I also found that if I shut it off and let the tubes prime again, it will work for a bit and start the process all over again.

This is my first time using a sponge/air filter. I have had medium sized fish tanks over the years with HOB filters and those worked great as long as I changed the media.
Getting a bit frustrated and wondering if a different filter would be better, but I see people gushing over these types over filters.

I also have some java ferns and java moss on the way to attach to some cholla wood.

Any sort of advice, questions, comments or concerns is greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20210829_111320_resized.jpg
    20210829_111320_resized.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210829_111327_resized.jpg
    20210829_111327_resized.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 101
I use the same sort, about £15 from Amazon. I've never had issues but it sounds like yours is just faulty. They should work straight away, as soon as the sponges are saturated, I'd just bin it & get another (maybe re-use the sponges to keep the good bacteria)

Make sure you're using a one way valve on the airline to stop flooding of it stops working or the tubes come off!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back