Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking to remodel, so to speak

endersblade

Reaction score
I currently have a 40 gallon long tank, housing a few fire bellies and some random odd fish. I'm looking to change up the substrate in hopes of being able to start growing plants. I am currently just using normal tank gravel, and I can't get anything to grow in it. I'm also kind of afraid the newts might accidentally eat some of it, though it hasn't been an issue so far.

The biggest issue as far as plants go, I have duckweed in the tank, and so light doesn't seem to get enough penetration to really do much. So I'll also be working on getting better lighting.

What substrates do you guys recommend? I don't have a heck of a lot of room to work with - the tank has a cut on one side to allow a filter (it's some sort of turtle tank, picked it up really cheap, that's the only reason I went with it), so the substrate only has about an inch at the absolute max to fill. I also have an undergravel filter, though I have no problems removing it, as it doesn't seem to be doing a heck of a lot. They just don't seem to work so well as I remembered...

I'm chiefly looking to grow some sort of carpet, preferably dwarf grass, though something that doesn't require CO2 would be ideal.

The tank has been running for about a year now, and the newts have lived in it for about 6 months. There are 5 of them I believe. Those little buggers are so active! The fish are just White cloud mountain minnows, and two plecos. They were the first inhabitants in the tank.

I'm just dissatisfied with the current setup, I feel I could do better. But I'm a noob when it comes to growing plants.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I grow dwarf grass as a carpet in my C. pyrrhogaster tank, I'll look up the species and lighting spec and report back later today. :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The stuff I grow is called Eleocharis acicularis. I've tried other similar ones, but this one definitely does best in the cold water. The lighting I have is a Beamswork double bright LED fixture for planted tanks, but the grass doesn't seem that demanding and would probably be fine under normal aquarium lighting.

Attachments

• carpet.jpg
    carpet.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 303

endersblade

Reaction score
The stuff I grow is called Eleocharis acicularis. I've tried other similar ones, but this one definitely does best in the cold water. The lighting I have is a Beamswork double bright LED fixture for planted tanks, but the grass doesn't seem that demanding and would probably be fine under normal aquarium lighting.

Excellent, thanks for the info! The light I have now isn't all that great, just a full-spec that I got when I bought the tank. I want to upgrafe to an LED system soon, so maybe I'll look into that grass when I get the new light.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll just add that although I've been really happy with the Beamswork fixture itself, the power supply/transformer that came with it only lasted about eighteen months before it failed. In the end it wasn't too much of a problem because I found out some Toshiba laptops use an almost identical 15 volt 4 amp transformer, so I got one one of those cheap off ebay and it's been fine ever since.

deedee71

Reaction score
chinadog, with your tank, do you use co2 or plant liquid food or does the eleocharis acicularis grow well in any conditions please?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1