Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lose worms

tcbemis

Reaction score
So after much trial and error, it seems our sals prefer plan old garden earthworms (which apparently cannot be purchased anywhere). I think Canadian night crawlers are too "yucky" once cut up, and the red wigglers get stinky when they're cut up. The reds we have now are quite small.... My question is... They'll eat them whole, but is it okay for the setup as a whole to have lose wandering red wigglers in there (they inevitably don't eat them all)? When we changed the soil recently there were several in the soil. I don't see how it could be harmful, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a substrate they can survive in they won't cause any problems, your salamanders might even catch them when they're on their night time patrols. As long as they don't die and rot in there, The only thing that smells worse than a red wriggler is a dead rotten one! :)

tcbemis

Reaction score
Thanks Chinadog! They're in a soil mix, so that's what I thought, they'd be fine. There's also some random pillbugs living in there, so hopefully they'll earn their keep and do any necessary cleanup.
?

tcbemis

Reaction score
@chinadog...I'm hoping you might know the answer to this... We live in Western New York, Rochester to be exact. Do you know if the "plain old garden worms" we pull out of the ground are Eisenia Hortensis? If so, I'll buy some online. The guys are still picky with the reds, and we have quite the worm farm going underneath the soil. I'd just like to be more sure that they're all eating (I saw two eat last night). Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1