Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Low Ph

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I know that a stable Ph is much better than one that fluctuates however would a really low Ph (possibly below 6.0) be bad for my axolotls? The highest it's ever reached in the tank is 6.5 which was at the beginning and my tap water is 6.5 but I think the combination of sand substrate and logs have lowered it. I don't believe in adding chemicals, especially because the "Ph up" stuff is probably a load of **** anyway so if I DO need to increase the Ph then what is the best thing to put in the tank to keep the level higher AND stable?

Thanks!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
6.0 is far too low. Although axolotls can tolerate a wide pH range of 6.5-8.00, their preference is toward the higher end of the scale.

You're right not to use chemical pH uppers and downers as these 'quick fix remedies' can cause wild fluctuations in pH, which is even more dangerous to the axolotls than leaving the water at an imperfect pH level. Also, most chemicals do not agree with axolotls, it's best to avoid adding unnecessary chemicals (such as pH upper and downer) to the water when it can be avoided.

Now for the good news! ;)

There are quite a few safe natural methods at your disposal, such as shell grit, coral sand, and limestone, that you can use to raise and then maintain your pH at a consistent acceptable level for the axolotls (which is what you wanted). Another beauty of these is that the pH level adjustment is a gradual process that will not upset the axolotls.

You can buy shell grit from most pet stores.

The leg of a pantyhose makes a perfect sack for the shell grit.

- Cut a good length off and add some shell grit into the "sack" (I would add about a *1/2 to 1 cup of shell grit at a time)
- knot off the end (not too tight, as you may need to add more shell grit later)
- give it a shake in a bucket of the tank water to clean the grit off (it's quite dusty! If not cleaned first, it will cloud up the tank!)
- and then add the stocking to the tank.

Let it sit in the tank for a few days. The change will be very gradual, so test the water every few days, and if there is no difference, add another 1/2 to 1 cupful to the stocking and repeat until the pH is where you want it.

You can use the same method with coral sand.

* 1/2 cup at a time if you have a smallish tank (40-60 liters/10 gallons), 1 cup at a time if the tank is larger.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much Jacquie :D
I knew about the coral and limestone being good to increase the pH but I wasn't sure if they were stable to use. So the stocking will be fine to just leave in a corner of the tank? I can't wait to get some!! Will I need to replace portions often or will they last quite a while?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, the stocking can stay in there! It even looks a bit like a natural rock once wet. If it doesn't fool you though, you can easily camouflage it. ;)

They should last quite some time; I haven't replaced mine in two years. I don't have any wood (which is acidic) present in my tanks, though, so my mileage will vary to yours.

If you test the pH every month or so and keep record of the results, this will give you a heads up as to if more grit is required or not. I suppose I should practice what I preach and go test my water...:uhoh:

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Easy done :D

I found shell grit online but it's for bird feed, is this the same stuff? Actually will any shell work because I have plenty of collected shells that I will crush if that's fine to use.

Sorry for all the questions. You've been a great help!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy done :D

I found shell grit online but it's for bird feed, is this the same stuff? Actually will any shell work because I have plenty of collected shells that I will crush if that's fine to use.

Sorry for all the questions. You've been a great help!

Yep, it's the same stuff.

I personally wouldn't use the collected shells as you can't be 100% sure they are contaminant or disease free. Shell grit sold at pet stores is definitely safe to use, as it is made fit for bird consumption.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Just an update..

I added 1 cup of shell grit to the tank and it took a few days but eventually increased the pH to 6.4, however after another few days it went back down to 6. I then added another 1 cup and it increased to 6.4 but has been decreasing then increasing (to 6.4) over the past week and a half. I found out that my water is soft and if I read on the forum correctly, this could be what's causing the pH to not be steady :confused:

Could somebody please help!?

DeniseD

Reaction score
Just a thought, you could try removing some Carbon Dioxide from the water.. Try more aeration in the tank and see if that makes a difference

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I will try that, thanks. I have a 12" air stone so how else could I add aeration to the water?

DeniseD

Reaction score
People say macroalgae helps but I don't know anything about it so I can't say for sure. Could try adding more plants? Try the stone first, if it helps then I would go with the plants.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Denise. The stone has been in there from the beginning so I'll just try add plants. I was planning to buy some this week so that works out well :happy:

jane1187

Reaction score
You're right, your water hardness will be affecting the stability of the pH, but without using chemicals (most of which fish keepers don't even use) you should just leave the hardness as it is.

I think you need to do a bit of investigation as to exactly why the pH won't rise and stay, even with the grit in there.

I know you might not want to but if you remove the wood from the tank you may see the pH stabilising. If it does not stabilise then the problem is elsewhere. Or maybe it is the water changes in the tank that are reducing the pH every so often. If the pH rises and you add slightly acidic water the pH is going to drop. Do you have a large water storage container to pre-condition the water with the grit before you do the water changes?

Just ideas, hope you find a good solution!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
That was really helpful and informative, thanks Jane! If I remember correctly, I removed the larger log ornament a few months back and that increased the pH. I only put it back because it was the only hide I had at the time. I was a bit hesitant about removing it this time around because I thought it may remove a bit of the beneficial bacteria that my tank could really do with but I've decided that it will come out for good (it's really horrible to look at and takes up too much precious space any way!!)

Unfortunately I don't, I only have two 10L buckets that I do water changes with. I'll be purchasing a canister filter tomorrow so I'll see how the shell grit goes if I put it in place of one of the other media.

imzunicorn

Reaction score
I have a question about pH. I had read that adding baking soda and salt to the water is good to help treat some illnesses. I know that baking soda neutralizes high pH. If the axolotl prefers slightly high pH, wouldn't this be counter productive? I actually read this in the axolotl.org website.

Our tap is slightly high pH and hard. When I treat the water, I keep it in a bottle in the fridge to chill for a few hours because our cold tap still comes out warm. I haven't been keeping track of the pH, but does the pH rise after so long? Does the amount of baking soda effect the pH, or just a certain amount neutralizes it and any more is unnecessary?

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand pH balance very well...

layna

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on the post but im currently having low ph problems, can you tell me, did the shell stuff work or is crushed coral better?

I cant really seem to source any crushed coral, and what i can find is expensive!

layna

Reaction score
Ahh great, ive bought 1kg of crushed oyster shell, i hope it works :)

SaltyFishHipser

Reaction score
Hello, I know I'm a little late to the party, but could I add baking soda to my low pH tank? I tried googling using baking soda but I didn't see a lot of results on how to use it, so I'm questioning its effect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!