Making 'Hiding' Spots

F

first

Hello,

I have been the owner of an Axolotl for one day.
uhoh.gif
and I have been researching like crazy to make sure I was doing everything right. (I knew there was more to their care then what the pet shop guy said!)

Anyway to get to the point... I have been having a great deal of trouble finding a suitable ornament for my axo to hide in. They are either not big enough, or the edges are too sharp. So I was wondering, could I use a half buried plastic plant pot? Since it is not specifically made for aquariums what would I need to do to make it 'safe'?

Otherwise, any other suggestions are welcome. (I live in QLD, Australia if that will help)

Thanks.

hi the plant pot will be good for your axo to hide in ,no need to do anything to it but give it a good wash good luck with your new pet.
tony.

Another good idea is a mug - I used one before I got suitable ornaments, so might be good til you can buy a pot (don't use one you've had plants in).

Thanks Tony and Katy. (I have registered now). I will head out today and buy him a 'cave'.
blob.gif

I have also named my Axo, his name is Ebon.

I took an upturned plastic pot, cut two arched "doors" out if it, which I then heated in order to get rid of any sharp edges.

I found a piece of plastic pipe, (plumbing section at the hardware store) I am currently boiling it in water.. will this be ok?

You can buy a straiaght connections for plastic pipe or elbows (1 1/2" nominal size). Makes great tunnels and very cheap.some of our aqua shops now sell imitation straight and elbows that are transparent for about a quid.

I took some small clay plant pots (30p at local supermarket) and cut bottom off using a tile saw. Look great and axies love them. My large female still insists on crawling her way through them even though she is very chubby and has to work at it.

I wouldn't recommend plastic plant pots because the materiel is usually very thin and it is nigh on impossible not to get an edge that you wouldn't consider sharp.

I also use a few big clumps of plants. All the axies like to sit in branches from time to time or close to main stem at base. I find good quality plastic ones are easier to clean and don't die when uprooted (dumb axies!lol).

Good luck

Thanks
happy.gif
I think that is what you would call what I got.. a straight pipe connector. I looked at the pipe elbows but I was worried that my axolotl would get stuck..

Anyway, I have checked very carefully for any sharp edges or other sharp bits and have boiled it in water. I've put it in his tank now so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice.

In my new foto attached to my profile. There is a piccy of big fat Psylocke in a round pot and you can just see a leucistic in another pot in background

B&Q (in the UK) have a good selection of hexagonal half-pipes with elbows that we've found useful. We had to take the rubber grommets out and wash them, but that was about all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back