Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Malagasy Rainbow Burrowing Frogs (Scaphiophyrne gottlebei)

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Here are perhaps the most endangered and rarest species within my collection, one that I was waiting for for a year before I could find even a few! lol

Malagasy Rainbow Burrowing Frog
Nomenclature: Scaphiophryne gottlebei
IUCN Red List: Endangered
Country of Origin: South-western Madagascar.

Information: This is 1 of 8 species of the Scaphiophryne or also known as the Malagasy Rain Frog genus (members of the Microhylidae family) originating from a severely fragmented, distribution range in Madagascar and like the rest of the genus, it hasn't successfully or widely been bred in captivity. This lack of captive breeding is mainly due to little to no knowledge about reproductive and breeding behaviours in the wild.

They are believed to be one of the rarest and most beautiful species of Anura in the world, making it definitely the most sort after within the Pet Trade. Like their common name suggests, the main characteristic behaviour is to only come out of burrowing during the wet and rainy seasons, giving it the ability to remain in areas and periods of drought for months.

© 2013 (These are copyrighted photographs, please ask permission before using)

tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-rainbow-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophyrne-gottlebei-picture30870-malagasy-rainbow-burrowing-frog-nomenclature-scaphiophryne-gottlebei-iucn-red-list-endangered-country-origin-south-western-madagascar-2013-these-copyrighted-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-rainbow-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophyrne-gottlebei-picture30869-malagasy-rainbow-burrowing-frog-nomenclature-scaphiophryne-gottlebei-iucn-red-list-endangered-country-origin-south-western-madagascar-2013-these-copyrighted-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

I shall get more photos of them but I am out of room on my albums :/

Thank you for reading and looking!

TG

© 2013 - These are my own photographs so please don't use them without my permission.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1