Male and Female Ambystoma maculatum Tank mates

CreativeOne

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have upgraded my 10G to a 55G and have decided to keep the male spotty. He is fairly large around 10 inches. Might be pretty old, not to sure. It seems to be taking an appreciation of my smaller female. They are always together. They even had a Lady and the Tramp moment with a large earthworm. Really cute. anywho.

I dont plan on making a pool or a pond just yet, just straight Eco-Earth packs and top soil mix with a waterbowl. Very simple right now until I do more researching on my new friends.

What are the chances the female (Smaller one) will release an egg in the water for Big Marv? Not really looking to expand the family just yet! They can cuddle right? They just cant get wet? So to speak. lol

Thanks!

Attachments

• 10257000_10203693739205107_2088758099842457373_n.jpg
    10257000_10203693739205107_2088758099842457373_n.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 951
The larger one looks more like a Tiger salamander :/ I suspect from looking at your other posts that you may have at least one Tiger salamander there. If you could post a picture of them when they are clean we can confirm.

Here are the two side by side and some various pictures I took of Big Marv. I ended up using 100% Eco-Earth coconut fiber bricks as substrate and not top soil. They seem to love it.

It would be strange that a Tiger seems to take an attraction to my young female Spotted? If you can confirm species. Id appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• WP_20140517_006.jpg
    WP_20140517_006.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 426
  • WP_20140517_004.jpg
    WP_20140517_004.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,957
  • WP_20140517_002.jpg
    WP_20140517_002.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 809
  • WP_20140517_005.jpg
    WP_20140517_005.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 429
Looking at the female in the side by side. She looks a bit fat lol. She loves grubs, wood lice, small beatles and of course earthworms. Its really good that I have her on a good variety of food.

Big Marv on the other hand.. Im betting since hes a bit more seasoned in years, he might be stressing out a bit. Since I caught him, hes only eaten 1 very large earthworm in a week. Im hoping with the bigger tank and the better substrate, he can cope.

Honestly, im still on the fence keeping him. IMO, if a sally lived a long life in the wild. Let it finish in the wild. Its a crapshoot if he can eat. THe trouble is, they really get along together. If I split them up on each end of the tank, they eventually will get together again.

The larger is an eastern tiger and the smaller looks to be one as well. If the smaller one's chin and underbelly are yellowish/tan (instead of silver), it is definitely a tiger.

With regard to your original question, their chance of breeding in your set-up is nil. Rare is the breeding of this species in captivity by very experienced keepers...and not in this type of set-up. Reproduction is not external with these animals. Males drop a 'sperm packet' which is picked up by the female and fertilization is internal....not the other way around.

Being 10" in length does not necessarily make the larger salamander old. I've had very young tigers at that length.

Once you have held an animal captive, you have to think long and hard about releasing it. The potential of introducing acquired pathogens into the wild is a risk for wild populations. You can search the forum for multiple discussions on this.

THis is awesome.

Ive read this site on a daily basis.. You guys\gals are just pure awesome.

Corey

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back