Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Male axolotl with cloaca turned out and back end floating

haileyvp

Reaction score
My 5 1/2 year old male axolotl has been having trouble with his back end floating and I noticed that his cloaca seems to be partially turned out and has been for quite a while, like when they lay sperm cones. He eats as normal (half of a large earthworm every other day), so I don't think it's impaction/constipation. He lives in a 50-gallon with a few of his sons, who all seem normal.

IMG_2948.jpg

wolfen

Reaction score
what is the water temperature?
due to back end float and slight inflammation of the cloaca it looks like there is an air block, adding a mild laxative may help ie.. magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) 0.2g/l.

haileyvp

Reaction score
what is the water temperature?
due to back end float and slight inflammation of the cloaca it looks like there is an air block, adding a mild laxative may help ie.. magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) 0.2g/l.
Temps are 64-69F, and I add John's Solution with most water changes (epsom, aquarium salt, baking soda) but I can add a bit more epsom salts.

wolfen

Reaction score
reduce temp to 59°f-64°f if possible, 64°f-69°f is fine for breeding temperature although not long term.
increasing magnesium should help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Antoniatheaxie:
    Hello! I'm new, but I have several questions 😅. If anyone can answer them, that would be greatly appreciated!
    +2
    Unlike
  • 巴巴托斯:
    有大佬可以帮帮我吗?我想了解更多关于虎钝口螈的繁殖细节
    +1
    Unlike
    巴巴托斯: 有大佬可以帮帮我吗?我想了解更多关于虎钝口螈的繁殖细节 +1