Illness/Sickness: Male axolotl with floating back end and turned out cloaca

haileyvp

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm hoping you might have some idea about what is going on with my 5 1/2 year old male axolotl who has been having issues with a floating back end and a partially turned-out cloaca, which never seems to return to normal. I occasionally see him standing on the bottom without seeming to be floating but I'm not sure if that's him using the decor to stabilize himself. He eats as normal (half of a large earthworm every other night), so I don't think it's impaction/constipation, and lives in a planted 50-gallon with a few of his sons who all seem normal. Water parameters are normal, temps are 64-69F, and I add some John's Solution (aquarium salt, epsom salt, baking soda) during water changes based on a breeder's previous recommendation.

Picture of his cloaca, sorry about the glare.
IMG_2948.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back