Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Males& females; one or two tanks?

AuSu

Reaction score
You who have both sexes cynops or hypselotriton, are you keeping them all in one tank or separate tanks? If you breed them, do you choose the possible parents and set them in another tank while courting or just let the nature handle it?
My cynops begun to court and fertile eggs were found...I took a couple to see how it all goes but probably not breeding them later more. The breeding pair seems to be from same origin (they are from three different sources) so it might be they are relatives.
Some say they'll eat the eggs and others have difficulties by getting too much babies all the time...

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Assuming you mean Hypselotriton orientalis, I keep my 3.2.0 in the same tank, In the beginning I got infertile eggs and thought nothing of it until, I found fertile developing eggs around 3 days ago, so far at least 3 have hatched out. Basically If you don't want them to breed just don't put them together, they breed effortlessly, and mine usually lay all year long so that could be a possible hassle. Mine will eat the eggs but I'm not sure about the larvae, i'll usually remove the eggs and place them in separate containers with daily water changes. I don't think theres a way in finding out where each of them came from, unless possibly you know exactly when and where they came from, they all look the same aside from a few being lighter or darker, and the bellies color depending on carotenes.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep all my C. p sasayama adults in one tank. After this year I don't think I'll bother separating the larvae off in future either. They will eat the eggs, but I've never seen any of them try to eat larvae, they leave them well alone, so all i need to do is pick the meta-morphs off the turtle dock and rear them in their own tank. .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1