Marbled/Banded Newt & Fire Salamander setups

D

damian

As Promised here are some pics of some of my setups.

These are my Banded Newt tank
11601.jpg

11602.jpg

These are one of my Marbled Newt tanks
11603.jpg

11604.jpg

This one houses my pair of Fire Salamanders
11605.jpg

11606.jpg

And this is the 'Newt Shed' that they are all kept in
11607.jpg

Apologies for the reflections in some of the photo's I had a problem with light bouncing off all this glass!
Damian

Great pics Damian
Nice to see lots of plants in your set ups.
Plants in terrestrial set ups is one thing I dont have much luck with myself.

Thanx also for posting the pic of your newt shed.
Im looking into transferring some of my set ups into the shed for next winter as my newt room is not getting cool enough through the winter now.

Damian - very nice photos. I like the newt shed a lot
happy.gif
. Do you run power out to it? If so, how?

Hi Damian,
What are the measurements of your tanks?
Thanks in advance, Mark

Hi John
Yes I run power out in the shed,it comes from the garage and runs through conduit along the fence and into the rear of the shed.The conduit(black tube) can be seen running along the fence in the photo,just above the bags of sand(they are for another job I have to do!)
Mark the tank sizes I use are,in inches,36x12x15 and 30x12x15 I also have a couple of smaller 18x12x11 tanks that I use for recently morphed juveniles.
Damian

Thanks for that info Damian. That sounds very good. Did you do it yourself? I was wondering how you feel about the idea of writing an article about that. I for one am very interested
happy.gif

John,I didn't wire up the shed myself it was done by a qualified electrician because it needed its own trip switch and anything beyond plugs and light fittings are beyond me!
I did however line all the walls and roof with loft insulation which were then covered by plywood throughout and fit all the shelving at window height which the tanks stand on.
Damian

I got the same background image as your first photo.I liked it too. Darn, I wish I HAD A NEWT SHED.

hold.....calling Home Depot now........

Cataldo

Great set ups Damian! And the shed . . . WOW! I was wondering, what is the narrow leaved, grassy plant at the back and left of the marbled newt tank?
Thanks,
Duncan

Hi Damian,
beautiful pictures! Some questions about your shed: Don't you have problems with temperatures: Isn't such a shed getting very hot when the sun shines on it? Is there some heating inside so it doesn't get too cold in Winter?
Greetings
Fabian

Duncan
I believe the plant in the Marbled tank is Wood Sedge (Carex sylvatica) it seems to grow very well in this situation.
Fabian
You are right the shed does get very warm in the summer,I have blinds that hang over the windows when its sunny and the windows can be opened as can the two doors.I have a small electric heater that I use during the winter to maintain a temperature of 8-10oC and during this time the windows and doors are fitted on the inside with clear perspex (double glazing) to allow daylight in and help to keep a bit more warmth.
Damian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back