Marbled newt abdomen twitch

frogenjoyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have three marbled newts and every once in a blue moon I notice that their belly will twitch on the sides of their body. It's not very vigorous and will only happen a couple times and then stops. I give them vitamin supplements and a varied diet, so I'm not sure what that is a sign of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Mine do exactly the same. Does it occur for a few days after feeding (when they're chubby)? I worried this was constipation but they still defecate routinely for me and the food I feed them is not reported to cause constipation (night crawlers and blood worms among any of the bioactive critters in the soil). Mine appear to be fine despite the twitch but it still looks strange. Frogs apparently have a gut twitch as well so I have slowly stopped worrying about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back