Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marsh Frog/Tadpole care

HeavenlyCharmed

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently purchased four marshland frog tadpoles. I was wondering what the basic care was. I know your probably going to say 'You should research the pets before you buy them' but I'm making up for it now! I couldn't find anything on google, so could you please tell me the basic care. The man at the pet store had hardly any clue what he was talking about.
Thanks, it's greatly appriciated!

- Matt

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased four marshland frog tadpoles. I was wondering what the basic care was. I know your probably going to say 'You should research the pets before you buy them' but I'm making up for it now! I couldn't find anything on google, so could you please tell me the basic care. The man at the pet store had hardly any clue what he was talking about.
Thanks, it's greatly appriciated!
That's a bogus name. Please post a photo - right now it's like asking someone to guess what's in your pocket.

Littlelotl

Reaction score
I take it this is one of the native Australian marsh frogs ? We have some salmon striped marsh frogs we feed them on curled winged flies and any bugs we find around the house (little worms, blood worm, baby slugs dusted- fast moving items are accepted best food MUST be moving). They do well at room temperature seem to be mostly active at night (we dont use uv bulbs as if they are nocturnal we figured it wasnt needed correct me if I am wrong!) they have a set up similar to that seen in the set up part of this site aim for 50/50 landand water or a bit more water with loads of floating plants and grasses. They seem healthy enough and spend most their time in the water or a leap away from the water. I selected they guys as they are easier to look after (temp/humidity/uv light) than some of the other frogs. We use a turtle filter for these guys as they are designed to deal with high levels of waste (make sure the frogs cannot get sucked up and that the flow isnt too strong)

There isnt much information on the net for these guys I am afraid.

axy3

Reaction score
Hmm, I am assuming here that you are talking about the Striped Marsh frog? Limnodynastes peroni http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Limnodynastes/peroni/ or perhaps the Spotted Marsh frog Limnodynastes tasmaniensis http://frogs.org.au/frogs/frog.php?frog_id=22

Oh as for getting it from a pet shop I do not see how this was possible, as purchasing frogs from pet stores is illegal in Australia. The only legal way is to obtain from a breeder and with a valid Amphibian Keepers License-Issued by the States National Parks and Wildlife Services.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!