Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid or Wildtype?

Rmerrow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I'm just looking for a little helping in identifying my axie. I have shined a light into his/ her's eyes, and I didn't see anything shiny, but I do see some light speckles on his head. I was told he was a melanoid when I bought him, but I'm starting to believe he is a wildtype. Can anyone here with more experience help me out in identifying him? LED lights were used on him in these pictures to get a better look, I'm not sure if he will look different under another type of lighting. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_7035.jpg
    IMG_7035.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 375

Rmerrow

Reaction score
Anyone? Please, this is driving me crazy trying to tell the difference between the two types. Iridophores are difficult for me to distinguish. I greatly appreciate any help.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
its a melanoid..if eyes are inky black in normal lights..and no shiney irrophores in the body...your fine..melanoids can have speckling just like a wild but no shiny flecks...a wild has a obvious ring around the pupil to the naked eye

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1