Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid Pleurodeles ?

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,,

Just read in :
Handbook of Genetics, Vol. 4 : Vertebrates of Genetic Interest, par Robert C., King, 1975, page 15 :

"...a color variation has been found in the F2 of a pair of this species (Pleurodeles waltl) captured in the wild (La Croix and Capuron, 1970). This mutant m ("mélanique") is comparable to the melanoid mutant in the axolotl in having an increased number of melanophores and in lacking iridophores."

Has anyone seen or heard about melanoid Pleurodeles waltl ? (Idon't have any)

JM29

Reaction score
The absence of answer is an information in itself.
I asked the same question the a french forum Urodeles but with no more success.

elKendo97

Reaction score
Hi.

If that there melanistic specimens in Andalusia an adult was found.

However, the specimens living without light in water wells or cisterns are often.

Attachments

• Pleurodeles waltl - melánico.jpg
    Pleurodeles waltl - melánico.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 597
  • dvg.jpg
    dvg.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 518

JM29

Reaction score
Thanks for this reply.
Do you mean specimen living in very dark aquatic environments can be very dark without a special genetic background? (why not)

elKendo97

Reaction score
Yes, color depends largely turbidity and color of water.
Specimens living in pools of irrigation or irrigation ponds are usually quite dark, with many stains.
Specimens living in ponds with clear substrate or white turbidity are clear and spotless

Attachments

• bthfn.jpg
    bthfn.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 489
  • bdth.jpg
    bdth.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 466

JM29

Reaction score
Thank you for these observations.
We suspect the same phenomenon with our Tylototriton verrucosus (Darjeeling) captive strain.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1