Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mid august round a pond

d4d

Reaction score
Ok it's mid august and I'm going herping for the first time tomorrow(just pics for now(need to know what I'm dealing with!)) Where should I look around the area, it's a large pond with a small beachy/swampy area(good stuff) and a has surrounding woods if I do any woods work it'd be along the edge. I want to find eastern tigers but really I want to find anything! What form in matrurity should I look for larvae? Adults?!

Thanks! I'll share some pics later down the road!

d4d

Reaction score
Very late in the year for tigers in any form...they will be very, very hard to find.

First of all you in particular have been very helpful you have ahd an answer to nearly every one of my posts!
Second, that sucks.
Third, what can o find?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Third, what can o find?

It really depends on where you are in the U.S.

Edit: I saw you're in Ohio from one of your other threads. You may have luck finding some late stage Notophthalmus (eastern newt) larvae or perhaps some adults that decided to hang around in the pond.

d4d

Reaction score
Anks, yes I am in Ohio! When shoulld I look for some tigers? Also when looking for easterns do I look under wood at the shore or? FYI haven't had rain for awhile here, idk bout there.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Anks, yes I am in Ohio! When shoulld I look for some tigers? Also when looking for easterns do I look under wood at the shore or? FYI haven't had rain for awhile here, idk bout there.

You'd probably have better look searching for Tiger salamanders in the spring, especially during/after a heavy rain. As for the eastern newts, look in areas of the pond that are choked with plant life. A dip net may be useful.

d4d

Reaction score
You'd probably have better look searching for Tiger salamanders in the spring, especially during/after a heavy rain. As for the eastern newts, look in areas of the pond that are choked with plant life. A dip net may be useful.
Thank you this post was very helpful. Unfortunately I saw it afterwards. My trip was unsuccessful although we did manage to catch 2 snapping turtles.

Nathan

Reaction score
If you're after adult tigers, be on the lookout in late winter and very early spring, during and after heavy rains when the air temperature is staying up around 40 degrees. Here in the east, tigers are usually one of the less common salamanders at any given pond, so expect to see a lot of spotteds, Jefferson's, or other ambystomatids for every tiger. Also be aware that tigers are patchily distributed; they may not be in that pond, or even in your area. Here's a map that may help: http://igsaceeswb00.er.usgs.gov:8080/mapserver/naa/.

It's a lot easier to find larvae. They tend to remain in the pond until late spring or even into the summer. Minnow traps are one of the most effective ways to catch larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!