Missing Axolotol

Daxus100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all Im new to axolotls and i bred my first 2 from eggs myself with the help and advice of the forum,i had one white axolotl the oldest and one wild type with red gills called kimarai,at approx 8cm in size i put them both into a tank together that was in January this year they both got on well and thrived and now are approx 15cm last week i noticed i could not find the white axolotl dragoon i dont have a substrate yet i have them both in a growing on tank so i could easily keep a eye on them with a small hide and some weed they both seemed happy with the white axolotl using the hide while the wild type never used it he also being the youngest was slightly bigger than my white one but not by much ,i checked the whole tank looking for dragoon lifting the hide and found nothing considering the size i thought if they had fought and the white axolotol had died there would be some part of the body left but there is nothing, the tank top was open is it possible dragoon climbed out? i didnt think they would leave the water and had read them changing to salamanders was rare so ruled this out ,they where both doing so well i had witnessed no signs of nibbling or biting and both where fed well often to fat for there own good so the wild one eating the white one with no body parts left seems strange especially as they where almost the same size ,im not sure if i should try and get another or rear another now or leave kimarai on his own he is due a tank upgrade soon as hes now growing so quick he seems to get longer every time i feed him,

Never leave a tank top open. Although axolotls don't climb, they can jump out of the water if they are frightened. How long had your axolotl been missing? Have you checked around the outside of the tank and on the floor?

I also suggest that you do not consider getting another axolotl until you do further research on keeping and caring for axolotls in an appropriate environment.
I hope that the links will be useful for this.
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

I don't mean to be rude, but you don't seem particularly bothered about losing an axolotl. I find that very difficult to deal with when there are other axolotl keepers who are trying so hard to ensure that their axolotls have the best environments, water parameters, food and medical help when necessary. Not a day goes past on this forum where people aren't upset and incidents and illness in their own axolotls, and those belonging to other people. That may be over-sentimental, but when you choose to look after an animal you are taking responsibility for its life, a responsibility which should not be taken lightly.

I dont often post on forums because as you have just proved donna there is always one person that has to be rude instead of offering advice and help you have made a poor assumption i just dont care and to be honest how would you know that from one post where i dont describe the condtions they are in ,if i didnt care about them i wouldnt be bothering to post to try and find out about them and if i wasnt keeping them in good conditions they would of died at a very early age to be honest the posts i read on here people have done some terrible things to there axolotols and come here for advice and your response is to critisize some one that has genuinley asked for advice ,yes my one axolotol is missing and i asked for advice my other axolotol is thriving you know nothing about my background or experience and as a new member i expected a bit better i now know better than to come to this forum for help,after all isnt it set up to help and educate people ? not put them off asking for help because of this sort of response? ill go elsewhere for my advice and shame on you for trating a new member this way when asking for help really some of the things ive read people have done to there axolotols on here by accident are appauling and you troll me because i didnt realise how far they can jump admin i really hope you dont discourage all your new members this way its the last time i will use your forum

You have been on this site longer daxus100 . Donna101 joined March 2016 look on left side of pag by where they live. It tells there join date too. I try not to tell people not to do things when they have their mind set. When i was younger my mom told me not to get a tattoo so went out and got 4:cool::eek:

How can anyone educate someone who has 'lost' their Axolotl?

It's been a week, doesn't the room smell from decaying Axolotl if it did jump out and land somewhere obscure?

Do you have cats? or any other predatory animals that could have eaten your Axolotl?

Axolotls aren't newts, they don't climb out and walk off.

First off i have been here longer because i used the site for research before i brought my axolotols if you check this is my first post, they are approx 7 months old now Im not sure why its assumed i didnt bother to check for a body im pretty sure i did not go into detail about looking for the axolotol but the tank has been thoroughly checked as well as behind the tank down the back and other tanks beside this one there is no body,i would not of posted on here had i not checked ,there is a lid to the tank but there is a feeding hole that was open so to jump the axolotol would of had to been very exact not out of the question but quite unlikey thats why i wanted to know if the other axololt could of harmed or eaten her,theres no smell no dead body of course we have looked for her,we dont have any animals that would harm the axolotols

Hi Daxus,

I am sorry for the loss of your axolotl. With the information you have shared I still think it most likely that the animal escaped - is the lid tight fitting, or do you think it could have been pushed out of position by an axie? You are certainly not the first person to have a caudate escape, and it is surprising the talent they can show to vacate the homes we have provided for them. I hope you are able to take measures to completely prevent the possibility of any future escapes.

I am not surprised that there is no smell of decay as caudates desiccate very rapidly outside of their enclosures, thus stalling the process of decomposition (so little smell).

And I am also sorry you have been judged rather harshly by other members of this forum. I for one do not think it fair to judge someone's emotions based on a single internet post. I don't tend to be a very emotional person and would not feel comfortable broadcasting emotions of grief or sorrow to a faceless group of people online. For many of us it seems more pragmatic to get to the point with the situation at hand in order to get help, instead of wasting time bemoaning the loss with lots of sad faces and exclamation points to elicit the most sympathy. Just because someone doesn't state how saddened they are by a situation does not mean they are not experiencing that emotion, nor does it make them any less deserving of help. And just because someone prefaces a statement with "I don't mean to be rude" doesn't make it less so. I also find it ridiculous that you have somehow earned negative reputation for posting a thread seeking help. To the best of my knowledge, no other new users receive poor reputation points for asking for help in trying to decipher a situation that has baffled them.

I am sorry you came here for advice and instead received criticisms from people who don't even know you. I hope in the future you are treated better! I also hope this experience does not sour you so much on this community that you leave. There is so much information here that can help all skill levels to take better care of their animals, so please don't stay away!

Best of luck,

HJ

Reactions: sde
Probably for the best if you focus on the remaining axolotl you have left. I sincerely hope your remaining axolotl has a decent future. After this tragedy, I'm assuming you'll be keeping the lid ON at all times.
R.I.P to little Dragoon.

Apologies for not being more helpful in figuring out how your Axolotl has disappeared. As Jewett said the negative reputation is not needed, and I apologise for my own realistically harsh reaction to your posts. From what you have described its hard to establish exactly what has happend, I can only image there may have been a larger difference in size between your Axolotls and perhaps the one did cannibalise the other, but it's hard to say since you say there is no evidence of this. It seems this situation may not be explained, but again, as Jewett said, this forums holds a wealth of information and knowledge that can benefit us all and I aswell hope you stay to learn and progress your knowledge in your Axolotls. No one should be singled out if their true concern is to protect and keep their animals alive and safe and give them the life they deserve!

If i offended you sorry. Give that person pack his gray square. I had a red square before:ha: If a few of you like what he says he might go green. Sorry please don't take my green away if I'm affending the red square person:nono:

Lol, slow down Cliff! Nobody is going to take your green square away, your posts are normally polite and respectful and that's all we ask. :)
Also, regarding the reputation, if anybody feels they have been unfairly given a negative hit, they can always contact a site moderator or administrator and we'll look into it and remove it if we agree it was unjustified.

Daxus100, I apologise for any offense caused by my comments.
I did offer advice regarding the open lid, then asked questions to help ascertain what could have happened to your missing axolotl, and posted some links that I thought could be helpful.
I was wrong to compare you to other users on the forum and I understand that everyone is different when expressing emotions. I hope that you stay on the forum as the knowledge and advice here is amazing, and it is a great source of information.
I can guarantee that I am not a troll, and I hope that this negative experience does not stop you from seeking advice from the more experienced keepers on this forum - as it has been pointed out, I have only been here for a few months. Other keepers have a wealth of experience that is very useful.
After responding to you I took myself off the forum for a few days as I was concerned that I was getting too emotionally involved with what was happening to other keepers, some of who had axolotls so unwell that they were considering euthanasia. I should not have let these emotions colour my response to you, and I hope that by having a break from the forum I can now be more objective and positive with my communications.
I wish you the best of luck with you future axolotl keeping and again I apologise for any offense caused.

Heather Jewett, I agree that by saying "I don't mean to be rude" doesn't make it any less so, and I will consider what I post more carefully in the future. As mentioned above, I had a break from the forum to consider my possibly over-emotional response, and hope that I don't get so emotionally involved again.

First off i have been here longer because i used the site for research before i brought my axolotols if you check this is my first post, they are approx 7 months old now Im not sure why its assumed i didnt bother to check for a body im pretty sure i did not go into detail about looking for the axolotol but the tank has been thoroughly checked as well as behind the tank down the back and other tanks beside this one there is no body,i would not of posted on here had i not checked ,there is a lid to the tank but there is a feeding hole that was open so to jump the axolotol would of had to been very exact not out of the question but quite unlikey thats why i wanted to know if the other axololt could of harmed or eaten her,theres no smell no dead body of course we have looked for her,we dont have any animals that would harm the axolotols
Are all visitors to your home completely trustworthy? Has anyone ever been overly keen on them? I did have a paddle tailed newt disappear during a house party many moons ago...

Are all visitors to your home completely trustworthy? Has anyone ever been overly keen on them? I did have a paddle tailed newt disappear during a house party many moons ago...
That's crazy! Someone stole your newt!? Must be a little harder to swipe a little axolotl, no?

Donna, I value all the help you give , we all get emotional sometimes , I think you were a credit to the forum to apologise takes a lot of courage to do that , after all no one is perfect:)

twinkle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back