Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing toad: Cannibalism?

pinkspore

Reaction score
I thought we had successfully escape-proofed their tank since Calico Jack escaped, but I just went to upgrade the boys to a larger tank and Black Bart is nowhere to be found. The tank had a very tight-fitting wire mesh lid that was clamped down securely, so I'm at a loss for how he could have escaped. There's no sign of a corpse in the tank and no change in the water parameters to indicate I had something decomposing in there.

If he escaped I don't know how long he's been gone. Last month I added a whole bunch of plants, delighting the frogs while making them very difficult to spot. I haven't counted frogs in the last week.

Is it possible Henry Morgan, my remaining frog, ate his tankmate? I know firebellies do better in groups of 3+, in pairs are they known to cannibalize each other?

(Also, since I just moved him to a larger tank and would like to get him some friends, how many can I comfortably keep in a 20G?)

asfouts

Reaction score
Firebelly toads have not been known to cannibalize and are one of the only toads that can be housed together. Its Probably due to their small size, because most toads will eat any amphibian able to fit in their mouths. In fact such can be said about most amphibians, anything that fits in their mouth is readily eaten. Unfortunately what happened to your toad is a mystery.

Regarding your other question. Depends on if its a 20 long or high. Because a 20 high is the same length as a 10 gallon and the toads arent really climbers... But with a 20 long they would have more room for themselves. You would need to increase your filter media power in the water, Because there would be more toxins in the water from their skin. But a typical rule is one toad to every 3 gallons. They will also keep well with firebelly newts (cynops orientalis).

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing about fire belly newts and toads being housed together. Don't do it! Bad idea! There have been many horror stories from that.

pinkspore

Reaction score
Definitely not going to try mixing any species. When I first started thinking about owning amphibians I did my homework and I definitely know better. Yikes.

The missing frog has still not appeared. The 20G tank is neither tall nor long, it's just a standard 20G, about 24" long and 12" high. Maybe four frogs?

asfouts

Reaction score
Ahhh yikes. I have never mixed species, but a guy in Iowa recommends it on his website, he is usually pretty insightful so I just took his word for it. I wont do that again haha. Anyway sorry about your toad real bummer :/ and I would say 4 is great :) goodluck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1