Mites in spotted salamander tank

Springlizard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Springlizard
Today when I was feeding I noticed these little tiny silver bugs in the soil of my spotted salamander tank. I only have had this tank setup and the animal for two weeks.

I am planning to replace the dirt tommorow but I have a few questions

Has anyone else had these ?
Are they harmful?

I am also wondering how they got there in the first place. I am thinking it had to have been through the dirt

Hi,

They probably came through the dirt, as you suppose.
Mites, with springtails, are the main little animals naturally present in dirt and leaf litters. They are important for the equilibrium of the soil and can constitute interesting preys for tiny morphs of small species (perhaps not for spotted salamander anyways).

Even in a sterilized substrate, mites from nearby environment (they are everywhere) will colonize it.

I think they may be springtails

I looked it up and some people use them as food?

I suppose in this case I should leave them in , it's just weird to me. Even though naturally in the wild salamanders are always around bugs

should I be worried if it seems like their numbers are increasing?

I swear there has to be 100 or 200 I can see crawling around on the surface

Most springtails and mites feed on various wastes. Presumably your salamander waste product and is too big to be interested in these small prey. Their number may therefore increase until an equilibrium takes place.

Worms and woodlice could do the same job but I suppose your spotted salamander may eat them more easily.

Most springtails and mites feed on various wastes. Presumably your salamander waste product and is too big to be interested in these small preys.

Sorry, I wrote too fast and didn't check before sending..
I meant :
Most springtails and mites feed on various wastes. Presumably your salamander continuously products waste and is too big to be interested in these small prey.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back