Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mixing Notophthalmus subspecies?

geron

Reaction score
I was wondering if Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens and Notophthalmus viridescens dorsalis have been kept together? I assume they haven't because of messing up the gene pool or different temperature needs. I just needed to know because of this qoute right here.

"Four regional varieties (or races) of the eastern newt exist. Studies of DNA indicate that these varieties are not true subspecies, as there is very little genetic divergence among them."

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They can interbreed so bad idea...
Even if they are not considered subspecies they are definitely distinctive and that´s enough to be careful, keep them separate and not mix them willy nilly.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Not to dig up old threads, but it is like keeping different color morphs of dart frogs together. They are not separate subspecies, but should be kept separate from each other due to mixing

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'll join you in your thread mining operation and say its like keeping different races of C. pyrrhogaster together, although as far as I know they could be given subspecies, or even full species status in the future.
I have read articles and accounts from when pyrrhos were common in petstores of pairs that flatly refused to breed, with hindsight I would guess this was because they unknowingly had animals of different races, but that's not to say all different races are unable to hybridise though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!