Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mixing siren with fishes

newtmember

Reaction score
I have a greater siren in a 55 gallons tank and the siren is roughly around 10 inches. I got a catfish from a friend today who said he couldn't take care of it any longer. soooooo the siren is with the catfish. The catfish turn out to be a red tail Asian catfish.....It's known to kills fishes much bigger than itself. I'm worry about my siren and I don't want to throw my friend fish away, she got it as a birthday present and she's said it was really special to her. WHAT DO I DO PLEASE HELP ME PEOPLE.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Probably a nit pick, but that website, (Aqualandpetsplus.com) is atrocious when it comes to herps. Look at the white's tree frog page, or the eastern newt one for example. I would not do anything that they say, and look for an actual care sheet

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Agreed, great catfish but will end up chewing up your siren. Theyre pretty shy and peaceful when little but become unusually relentless when they start to get a little bigger, usually around when they start to transition to their red tail. Hate to see you loose your siren, get another tank asap. If you cant afford it, local fish based pet shops would probably love to take it off your hands. They arent horribly common and you may get some decent store credit to invest in your siren supplies. :D

SnotOtter

Reaction score
I am rather embarrassed for adding a link to that site...it really is awful :eek:

Dont be, you were trying to help. Cant expect you to know instantaneously if its credible, especially if youre not a fish person. Sorry for assuming that, just did so because you linked the south american redtail, easy mistake. No harm done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!