Question: Mixing T. Granulosa With A. M. Macrodactylum?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi all,

So I was wondering if I could safely keep T. Granulosa with A. M. Macrodactylum?
I have seen the species mixing disasters page but it does not have something about these two species. I have looked around on here and have not found anything. I am guessing it is a bad idea but I want to make sure, before I start cycling another tank.

Thanks! -Seth

Well, T. Granulosa can be kept in both, A m. Macrodactylum are terrestrial except during the breeding season, that is the time I would mix the two.

A.macrodactylum will be breefly aquatic, nothing very significant. What is it that you are hoping to achieve with the temporal mix?

I want to breed the macrodactylum but I don't think I have time to cycle another tank before the breeding season. The T. Grans set-up is semi aquatic, so they could breed in that was thinking. There are 4 T. Grans and 2 A. m. Macrodactylum.

Well, depending on where you are cooling your A.macrodactylum you do indeed have more than enough time to cycle a new tank. We just started december and i expect the breeding season for them might be anywhere from january to march or so, is that correct? If so, that means heaps of time.
Also, you might not necessarily need to fully cycle a tank for breeding purposes since there might be very little ammonia production in a cold environment with animals that aren´t feeding, anyway. Careful monitorization or the use of live plants could very adequately aliviate the need for cycling.

Yes Azhael, the breeding season around here is probably from late December to early February. I will probably do what you suggested, it should be nice and cold in there tank. I have access to wc aquatic plants that I could use, and don't worry I dip them in salt water before I put them in the tank. And they might eat, it is hard to say, but I could maybe entice them into some chopped earthworms :p.

How, otterwoman, do you not cycle tanks! I would love to know that trick! :grin:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back