Question: Modified Walstad Set-up tips?

licerbob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello every body! :p

So I am thinking of starting a new tank kind of based on the Walstad method? but I don't really know all that much, I have a basic Idea of what I want to do, I have not started this tank at all yet. I am still in the "research" phase :)

I have a 36 Gallon tank that I was planning on using for this project, I want to get eather 3 Alpine Newts or 3 Smooth newts (vulgaris vulgaris) but I have not decided yet and I can't figure out if they are fully aquatic? I know they both are during their breeding season but I don't know when that is either... I am willing to put in land space if they need it. I will buy them when they are still in the aquatic juvenile stage tho

other animal life I was thinking about some ephippia water flies but I can't tell if they require drying the eggs in between generations before they will hatch? Also dose any body know a type of FRESHwater fiery shrimp that's eggs do not need dried? I was looking into some red tailed fiery shrimps but they are from a vernal lake so the eggs need to be dried before they will hach.

I will probably put lots of ghost shrimp in there to clean haha because those are the only shrimp my local stores have and I think they are pretty cool :) . I saw some really nice deep blue shrimp on line somewhere that were AWESOME but like 7 bucks a pop plus shipping. Bumble bee shrimp are cool too but nowhere sells them here

Not sure about any snails? Mystery? Rams horn? tips on snails? I know there are some that work really well in planted tanks because they dig and aerate the soil.

Maybe some guppies to breed and just be there as small feeder fish.

Freshwater clams? they burrow down and you can never see them but they filter the tank well

Plants! I want to try to put a carpet plant in the tank, probably dwarf baby tears. Besides that I was thinking some water sprite and I really do not know what else to put in? I really like the fluffy looking plants like Green Cabomba but I think they might look a little out of place... Have never seen an Anabas or a java that I thought was pretty and I don't want plant that just look like grass. Maybe some Water lilies or pennywort? Pellia Monosolenium Tenerum looks cool and big and fluffy but it's pricey and I have heard good and bad about growing it? I have no idea... the tank will be room temp which for me is average about 22-24 C water temp.

Tant details!!! 1st sand substrate will work for this right? The tank light will be an aquion bulb either full spectrum of floramax. I have a floramax bulb on another tank I have and it seems to work very well! I would feel really bad without a filter but i know in this type of set up your not supposed use one but I have read about having the filter but instead of carbon using lava rocks to add extra space for the bacteria to grow, also the filter would add water movement and circulation. Also will have a bubble stone on the opposite side.

I think that's everything?

sooooo yea :D I have a lot of research to do still before I start this tank... Any and all tips would be much appreciated!!!

dose anyone know any really good priced online dealers or stores that sell shrimp and plants and stuff in Va, Fredericksburg + Stafford area? PM me about it if you do :)

Thank you everyone for taking your time to read this all!

Ack I forgot to mention Water cress as a possible floating plant or water hyacinth. (if my store ever gets them in stock again! >:/ )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back