Moldy Moss! Please Help!

HaleyM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Haley
Hi there! I have a 30 gallon breeder tank with a Crocodile Skink. The substrate is large turtle rocks with pillow moss and driftwood on top. There are plently of rocky shallow pools for him as well as a large water dish. This species requires 100% humidity and a similar set up type to salamanders!
However I am having trouble with mold taking over the moss. It is absolutely gross and cannot be good for his health or mine (allergic to mold). I live in Florida and there is a very good chance that the house I am living in has a mold problem because it might have been involved with flooding. There is a UVB bulb and a full spectrum bulb. I noticed the 'frog pillow moss' that I got from a box developed it first.

How can I get this mold off my moss?!

Does the tank have any ventilation? Stale air can cause fungal and bacterial growth. Although you have to keep the humidity up, you might want to have a little bit of ventilation. Also, some insects eat mold. You might want to consider adding these insects to your tank.

Hope it gets better!

I would love to know what these insects are! And the top is a screen mesh. The tank itself is a 30 br zilla.

As stated above, could be a lack of ventilation. A (computer) fan should do the trick. Just keep it running 5-6 hours a day where the skink is hiding anyway

Dart frog keepers often "seed" their tanks with springtails and isopods. Isopods/springtails act as natural janitors in vivariums. You can buy them or find them outside. I keep isopods in my tank for cleaning and as a snack for my sals.

While the fans may work, they might decrease the humidity.

Actually I read somewhere that UVB bulbs decrease mold growth. I am not sure this is true, however.

I have a fully planted viv for my crested gecko with active springtails. Unfortunately, I also have a mold problem. It has not affected any other of my tanks which are equally high in humidity and also colonized with springtails. Mine started from where I put his fruit. Just thought I would contribute re: the springtails taking care of the problem. I just keep throwing away more and dirt and moss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back