Mole sals - photo's from class

P

paris

one of my subjects for my biological illustration course was Ambystoma talpoideum -commonly called the mole salamander. these are small but very chunky salamanders. here is my final project on them: (one pic isnt in great focus-but it was used to show composition requirement)
17604.jpg

17605.jpg

17606.jpg

17607.jpg

17608.jpg

17609.jpg

17610.jpg

17611.jpg

here are the 2 i included in my 'best' project
17612.jpg

17613.jpg

H

henk

Well Paris, seeing from the quality of the images you have a new digital camera or used one from somebody else ??

Nice pictures and I love those chunky little guys. Have been trying to get my hands on some for a while but failed to do so...

P

paris

yeah henk-i borrowed a school camera for the course. my own digital cam has a better lense (10 x) but the pixels are 1 MP and the ones for these pics are 3 MP -which gives a better print/image. here is the break down:
VGA resolution cameras -web/e mail quality -small image
1 MP 3 x 5 print
2-3 MP 5 x 7 print
3-4 MP 8 x 10 print
5-6 MP 13 x 19 print -or images from print parts
so my digital camera has a better lense (10x -as opposed to the 6x that these were shot with) but the resolution of the images is less. these pics had the benefit of being shot in a studio setting with excellent light -better light definitely makes better pictures. i have read the manual on my digi cam and hope that since i have learned these techniques i can produce better pictures in the future (i can always borrow the student camera again) but if i am limited by time or light i will take pictures about the same as i used to.

H

henk

Yep it takes some time and study sometimes, but these are great shots Paris... they look nice and big and handshaking close (I wish).
In terms of composition I especially like the 3rd last one.

J

john

Paris, the second image from the bottom (with the white background), what did you use to get that nice white background?

P

paris

plate of glass across 2 cinder blocks with white paper under it (way under to prevent shadows) and 2 lights from behind.

P

pamela

Lovely pics and lovely subjects. I love their markings. I wish I could take decent pictures..oh well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
    Alexmcc: Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane ... +1